Advised not to use social networks...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TheNumberOne, Nov 19, 2009.

1. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

Hello,
    We got a memo at the beginning of this year from the principal that we are advised not to use social networks such as Myspace, Facebook, Classmates.Com, etc...

I was wondering is this a popular advisement, and have other teachers heard this?

Me, I use Facebook enthusiastically, and although I wouldn't want to lose my job over it, I use it to keep in contact with college mates, family, friends, etc. I have had students request me as a friend, and as much as it hurt me to do so, I declined the requests. And not on a personal level, but on a professional level. :(

Are there other alternatives? :unsure:

3. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

I have one ex pupil on facebook (he lives with his dad and was a kid who should have "gone off the rails" but responded to his learning when in my class two years ago). I feel a sense of moral responsibility to the kid and HE asked me to be HIS friend. How sad that modern society blanket-bans real human care/responsibility !!

Look out for a new film coming out soon in the UK called "Hells Pavement" (sidewalk to you lot) which AT LAST holds the faceless authorities to account as being "well intentioned failures".

Make up your own mind and sod the so called "principle" ! I was brought up in the care system before being adopted and see the authorities as un informed nuggets !!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 19, 2009

This topic comes up from time to time on here. Because of the things I have read, I have decided never to visit these kinds of sites though I know I would love them because it would suit my personality. There are mixed reviews about this topic but your school is not the first to advise such thing and there are even some states, acorrding to posters here, that have that advisement under their state board of education. As sad as it is, there have been too many reports on here for teachers being fired because of things on these sites. Some I can understand and some I think are just plain stupid and no big deal. That alone keeps me from joining these sites. Some things I would never have dreamed would cause any fuss and has for some teacher out there. I can't tell you what to do because personally we should be able to. I'm just telling you the topic comes up and this advisement comes up and the response from posters is mixed.

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2009

Classmates.Com! I have never heard of any problems with it!

As for the other two as long as you keep you posts PG and your friends keep theirs PG you should not have any problem, as long as you practice safe Computing.
    The problem is Myspace is being used by gangs and juveniles and can be rather raw
    Facebook & Twitter you have to make sure you do not have any foul mouth or crude friends because it is out there for God and everybody to see. Put nothing that you wouldn't want you 92 year old Grandmother with a heart condition to see

[​IMG]

6. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Nov 20, 2009

I don't see a problem with it as long as you keep it private and appropriate. I've kept in touch with SO many friends because of Facebook but I'd never have a current student as a friend in there. The guidance department at the school I work at actually has their own page on FB so the students can talk to them anytime out of school (and probably to help monitor students' behavior, too).

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 20, 2009

Our state recently passed a law saying that teachers and students cannot communicate electronically (including by phone, e-mail, text, etc.) about anything unrelated to the academic services currently being provided by the teacher. One district took that to mean that teachers can only communicate with students electronically using school board property. This all seems ridiculous. It's meant to stop inappropriate relationships, but it hurts everyone! I can only imagine that banning social networking sites will be next.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 20, 2009

Just make your facebook private and don't accept students until you don't have them anymore, that is what my HS Marine Science teacher did.

9. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 20, 2009

Thanks for all of the replies!

My Facebook page is private, and I chose to be unlisted in all search engines.

I only use Facebook, and as mentioned, that's only used to keep in touch with folks.

MissCeliaB, I also agree that it's stupid. I am wondering how the administration can control who you text outside of school when you pay your phone bill. That's just ... ridiculous.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2009

If they advise you not to use a social networking site in your personal life, I think they are treading on some serious legal issues. Having Facebook is rapidly becoming the equivalent of having a telephone or email. You're out of the loop if you don't.

If you have Facebook, don't post anything you wouldn't want a parent or colleague to see.

11. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 20, 2009

Great post, Sarge.

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2009

No one will tell me how to behave on my own time. Who I can talk to or how I communicate with them. I obey the laws of our country and IF I WANT to chat with former students I feel that is my perogative and just a human thing to do. I have told more than one of my ex students if I EVER see them walking around town smoking I will stop and stick that cancer stick in their ear.
    And they believe it. Just last night I was contacted by a former classmate on FB and he is doing GREAT considering what we were doing at 17. Sarge is right, technology is moving faster than attitudes and misconceptions.,

13. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 20, 2009

Great post Steph.

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 20, 2009

I was called on the carpet for posting on facebook something earlier this year. I deleted all the other teachers--I didn't have any parents or students--because of the one who "tattled" on me. I didn't say anything bad, but I called my classroom...the room, not the children, a dungeon. I am at the long end of a dark hallway that is unoccupied. I now don't post anything about my job...not even "I had a great day at work."

15. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 20, 2009

Ridiculous.

See, that's why you've got to be careful of the people you accept as a friend. They'll smile in your face and give you great comments on Facebook and like your status', but will turn around and report you.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 20, 2009

My principal knows I'm on Facebook because it came up in conversation. He told me he's too busy running the school to care about it. My school has a FB fan page and the teachers are encouraged to post messages on it on occasion.

On the other hand, my DAD is now my FB friend, so I had to do a quick scan of my photos to make sure there wasn't anything in there that would bother him. There weren't, although I think there's one photo of me in 1930's costume holding a cocktail while sipping another (my dad thinks I'm a lush but it was a 21st Amendment party). Maybe everyone should have their stricter parent as a friend to keep them on the virtual straight and narrow.

Oh, and my profile is so unsearchable, my dad couldn't find me until he asked my brother to send me a friend request for him.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 20, 2009

Cat, I felt the same way when my MOM got on FB. Argh, talk about editing!

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 20, 2009

I have two former pastors, my first pastor's wife (she is the one that asked me to join and she is in her 80's), my aunts, my son's youth minister, and my former boss. I also have former students--non current and only four former that I was personally close to. I have parents of former students, but non current.

19. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Nov 20, 2009

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/oct/22/hells-pavement-review

Watch out for this film, every pathetic half-witted do gooder should be thrown into prison for creating a culture of suspicion ! From those who "police" employee's to middle class half educated social workers we now have a western world where NO-ONE TRUSTS ANYONE !

The "memo culture" office is ruling...and ruining us all ! How sad .:mellow:

20. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2009

I tell my semi-adult children to be careful what they post - employers can look for any excuse not to hire you in these times. My friends have been bugging me to do it, but my - kids "forbid" it - lol! I have enough drama in my life - don't need any more! Seems like sometimes those sites get drama going between my kids and their friends.

21. Simba

Simba Comrade

Nov 20, 2009

I don't Twitter and I don't have a Myspace or facebook account. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to get on any of the sites. I certainly don't feel "out of the loop."

I responded to a post like this before. Short and sweet, when I taught in Florida, a teacher was fired because of a picture of her in a tank top on one of her friends' Facebook account. It was not a derogatory picture and she has no idea how the parent got the picture. Her account was private.

I just haven't had a "need" for it. Just my two cents.

22. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2009

Big Brother is watching!

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2009

I have what is probably a dumb question, but being that I don't have a FB acct, and don't plan on it.....how do people make themselves "unsearchable"? Aren't there always loop holes around this, or can you truly make yourself untraceable on there?
    Isn't the whole idea of having a FB acct to keep in touch with family and friends? If you make yourself unsearchable, that's defeating the purpose, is it not?

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 20, 2009

I declined the friend request from my mom. I'm such a terrible daughter. I even avoid posting anything personal on my sisters walls because they did friend our mom.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 20, 2009

mm, your mom doubtless already figured that - but you and I both know that it's a crock of...

... old sauerkraut.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 20, 2009

I have a picture on my living room wall. It's a picture of my youngest son at two years old being held by the two men he's named after. My father is on the right (first name) and a priest (msgr, actually) is on the left. Fr. Henry is holding a very large coctail in his other hand and my dad has a beer in his other hand. According to many people's standards, this is really bad. Really, this whole thing has gone so far over the top we have to send a space shuttle after it.

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2009

Our district superintendent and all the school board members have FB pages that they use for school communication.

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 20, 2009

That's a really good idea! Students (and their parents) may not check out their school's web site, but if they're FB fans of their school, information and updates will go directly to their home pages.

29. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 20, 2009

In the setting apart of the site, you can make yourself unsearchable on the site, and via search engines.

And it's not defeating the purpose - you just add people you'd like to be friends with.

30. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2009

I made myself "unsearchable." It seems to work pretty well, because my younger sister could not find me while I was on the phone with her. She was able to find me after searching for my email address. My email address is from when I'm in college (and before my college got renamed), so no one knows it except for me.

People can find you by seeing something you post on another person's wall. Or you can search for people yourself.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2009

This week in the news, there has been at least one teacher let go (and in NJ, a custodian) due to FaceBook postings....I'm all for your personal time being your personal time- do what you want. But publicizing your political view, your dating habits, your social life...not sure that needs to be 'public'....I think there's a balance to be sought between living your life and being a public school employee. Be well-advised, act accordingly.

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2009

I read both cases the teacher posted stuff on her facebook page on her own time where the custodian allegedly did it during school hours but both were not "TENURED"
    Both said their pages were set to private so it had to be a "Friend" who turned them in!

Because I now live with my Son and Daughter in Law (she is active Navy) I have to watch what I say, even here. My DIL can't post anything that is "against" Obama. He is her Commander in Chief.

I change my MY MySpace when I was teaching because I had on it that I was "a handsome old fart" I changed it to "a handsome old coot"

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 20, 2009

Same thing happened to me this year! I didn't delete any of my 3 co-workers but I made it that they could only see a limited view of my profile and nothing else. I'm just waiting for one of them to say something to me. :whistle:.

34. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 21, 2009

I love FB, but I don't post stupid stuff on it. Right now my life is pretty basic anyhow.

I've found friends I went to school with 30+ years ago and was delighted to know they were doing great.

35. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Nov 21, 2009

I have a FB account but have run into some problems recently.

First, I have had current students' parents ask whether I was on Facebook, friend me, and then ask questions about it later when I hadn't accepted their friend requests. I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place, because if I didn't friend them, they would feel that I had something to hide or be offended, and if I did, I'm afraid something could come up that could be misinterpreted (I work at a private school, so it could be something minor).

Also, I never know what others will post. Recently, someone tagged a photo of me from several years ago that I would never want parents/ former students/ colleagues to see. (Not scandalous, really, but did NOT need to be public.) I'm not quite perfect, and neither are my friends, so there is no gurantee that nothing questionable will ever pop up. In light of the recent photo scare, I have hidden my wall and my photos from everyone school-related, but I am still nervous. I may get rid of it altogether because it just isn't worth the risk.

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 21, 2009

Dealing with students is easy. You just tell them that while you're flattered, you have a blanket policy regarding friending students. It's simply not professional and you cannont accept any friends from students or school related people.

As far as people tagging you, just untag yourself. I've done this a LOT, and for the most part the photos are nothing exciting. I just don't want my name out there.

37. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2009

I guess us older folks have a slight advantage.

My younger "wild" days were long before digital cameras and cell phones. Most cameras were big and bulky and film was expensive to buy and process. If you were sitting around a bar with all of your drunken buddies, you probably didn't have your camera because it didn't fit in your pocket. If you did, you certainly weren't going to waste film on documenting people's stupidity.

And if someone actually was at the Holiday Inn in Ardmoore Okla. in 1982 and got a picture of me staggering around the pool in my underwear at 2 AM, they were probably in the same condition as me and the photo is likely blurry and unrecognizable. "Point and shoot" was a term most people only associated with firearms back then.

And if by some strange chance, they still have the photo, they would actually have to dig it out of a box and scan it in order to post it on Facebook. Very unlikely since it's doubtful that anyone who might have been with me that night probably still doesn't make enough money to afford a computer nor have ever attained the smarts to operate one.

And the odds of there being any video of me dancing wildly to the music of Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker" on the diving board are virtually nil.

38. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 22, 2009

This is happening on our campus right now. One of the teachers had a FB page and had many co-workers as friends on it. She posted a pic of her with a student's parent that just seemed unethical. I'm not sure anyone officially reported her, but the whole campus knows about it because people talk. So now she's started a new page but only asked a few co-workers to be her friends, so some were hurt not to be asked. Drama and what a waste of time spent talking about it.

I seriously considered starting one this summer, but just don't want to take the chance. I, like Sarge said, certainly don't have any evidence from my youth that's digital, but you never know what may be misconstrued or nitpicked. I also don't like the thought of parents or kids for that matter trying to contact me that way.

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2009

Just saw on the news this morning about a business employee who is being denied further disability (depression) benefits due to FB pictures of her at Chippendales and at the beach...she says her doctor 'ordered' her to take vacations to forget about her troubles. :unsure:

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2009

Wow, the truth is a killer, isn't it???

The problem is less the FB account than the fact that she did something that she didn't want broadcast.

I'm not a member of any social networks (other than this one :) ) But, to the best of my knowledge, the most incriminating pictures that exist of me show me holding a glass of wine. Not staggeringly drunk, but having a single glass of wine.

That said, as Sarge mentioned, there weren't digital cameras when I was in my teens and twenties.

And this whole "friending" thing just seems to me to be so very, very sophomore-in-high-school.

41. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2009

I have a policy, no students and no parents. Even if I had them several years ago. I always think that if I friend a parent they may show it to someone or a student and I don't want that happening. Students and parents have no business seeing may Facebook page.