Advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dacky, Mar 24, 2009.

1. dacky

dacky Rookie

Mar 24, 2009

Background: I've been a daily sub for about a year and I recently took a long term sub position (yay!) as a reading support teacher in a city district until June....there is talk of keeping me on but I am not the happiest camper and would like to keep my options open- especially if that talk about the contract is only talk. I had been subbing in a different district daily and had been frequently requested. I was able to tell one principal in that district but was not able to tell the principal of the school I really frequented...(hopefully this makes sense, sorry). I had to cancel upcoming positions with them because I obviously can't go...and I would like to let the principal know why I just disappeared (who knows if they noticed...but i hope they did gosh darn it!).

So, do I write a little card to the principal? (The district doesn't list email on their site or I would do that.) If I write the card, what do I say? I mean, I know they have a summer program that I would LOVE the opportunity to teach in- and they were aware of that- but they are updating the applications...I just don't know how to write to her...

"Dear so and so,
    I wanted to apologize for cancelling my future substitute positions in your school. I was recently hired as a LTS in ____ district as a reading support teacher and couldn't resist the opportunity. ..."

I want to say something like "I miss _____ Elementary and do hope to be a part of district in the future." I also think it would be good to mention the summer program....I just don't know how!

Ugh, also, the secretary is the one who requested me all the time; she really took a liking to me...do I write a card to her too??? Any advice is greatly appreciated...

and I thank you if you stuck it out and read this whole message because I'm tired :| and when I'm tired I babble. :dizzy:

3. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Mar 24, 2009

Maybe instead of trying to formulate a letter/card you could visit the office in person and explain your situation. Then follow up with a note based on that.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

I don't think its a bad idea...you want to do something to keep you in the P's mind. A card wouldn't hurt...maybe a blank card that you can write in. Here's my 2 cents for what to say...

"Dear so and so,

I wanted to apologize for cancelling my future substitute positions in your school. I was recently hired as a LTS in ____ district as a reading support teacher and couldn't resist the opportunity.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at XYZ Elementary and hope to be part of the district in the future. I will be submitting my resume and cover letter soon for any possible positions for the 2009 summer program and/or 2009-2010 school year.

Respectfully,
    Your Name"

5. dacky

dacky Rookie

Mar 25, 2009

Thanks so much for the replies!

Leigh, thank you for putting my thoughts into proper English...I have such difficulty communicating my feelings sometimes because I don't want to come off too blunt (which I have a tendency to do). You have definitely given me the spark to write a blank card.

Thanks!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2009

No problem dacky...that's one place where I can usually help! Good luck :D