Advice?!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by luvteaching25, Mar 31, 2007.

1. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

Hi everyone!

I want to have some imput from anyone out there that has been in my shoes. I am starting to apply for jobs within the district. However, as a preschool teacher, I am finding it difficult to squeeze time to interview for these positions. I work full time and don't get off until 5. In addition, I hate calling in sick and would rather not. However, if I ask, I do not think my supervisor will give me time to go interview. Can principals work around your schedule? What do you think? Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

I have always been given the time off. I have so many personal days a year. I save them for interview time.

4. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

Personal Days

I used a personal day already last week, for another interview. But I have an interview scheduled for this week. It's kinda short notice, and don't think my boss will give it to me.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

I don't know what I would do. You can't use a sick day because if they call your boss for a reference that would look bad. I think if you don't have any personal days left, you may have to take a no pay day. What time is your interview?

6. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

at 11:30, ...in the middle of the day. I was thinking about calling in sick, since I have NEVER called in sick. What do you think

7. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

And I really wanna go to this interview. The Principal said that she wants to make a decision by next Friday, and is not available at any other time.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

I wouldn't call in sick. You don't want them to call your boss and your boss say "OH really, I thought she was home sick".
    I would either take the middle part of the day off with out pay if someone can coverfor you, or take the whole day no pay if your boss won't give you a personal day.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

Can you take an extended lunch and offer to come in early or stay late? My boss sometimes lets us do that. I'm thinking ahead and hoping I'll have this problem. ;)

10. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Apr 1, 2007

I would call the prinicipal let her know your dilemma. When I interviewed for my job, I was in a week long all day assistive technology grad course and could not leave early or I would have to retake the entire class (offered only once a year). Not only was she willing to set the interview for 5:30 when I could get there, she specifically told me to come in casual dress because there was no sense in sitting in a suit all day to have a 20 minute interview. I know all principals are not like that, but I think that there is a part of being responsible and willing to complete your current responsibilities that is a good thing for a prospective employer to see. (It also gives you some insight as to how she values her employees and their obligations to family, etc.).

11. It's A Good Day

It's A Good Day Rookie

Apr 1, 2007

Please do not call in sick. You could be fired. Such a case went to the Supreme Court and the decision to fire the teacher for lying was upheld. The teacher called in sick and went to a job interview. That afternoon they called her principal, who fired her on the grounds of lying about the sick day. (I took an educational law class last year.)

I agree with some of the others. Talk to the principal about changing the time, talk to your principal about a personal day, or just take a day without pay. It's not worth the risk.

12. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Apr 1, 2007

Thank you all for your advice. I have decided that I am going to talk to my current boss about giving me 3 hours off for the interview. I hope she gives it to me because I can't take a personal day or vacation without short notice. Cross my fingers!!!Thanks again!