Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by IloveSF, Jun 29, 2016.

1. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

So there's a job posting that says the following: "teaching license with either 5-12 Language Arts or 5-8 Middle School Language Arts endorsement required."

I have a K-8 LA endorsement, so the state clearly says I can teach 8th grade (which is what this job is).

Would it be a good or bad idea to email HR and inquire about whether or not I would even be considered since I don't have the 5-12 even though I am clearly qualified?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2016

Email for clarification, but you are almost certainly good to go. It's a respect thing, and not portraying yourself as "above the law", if you know what I mean.

IloveSF likes this.
  4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jun 29, 2016

It's not a bad idea, but I'm sure you're fine. When I was looking for jobs years ago, I was licensed K-12 and jobs always posted to possess secondary certification (6-12 - which was another license # technically). I had no issues.

IloveSF likes this.
  5. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

I see a lot of postings like this, and I have no idea what districts are thinking. I'm 3 classes from a 5-12 LA endorsement, and those classes have exactly zero to do with teaching middle/high schoolers. They're sophomore-level courses in Brit and Am Lit and Shakespeare. They won't teach me anything that would make me more qualified for a job. But I somehow need them? Makes no sense.

6. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

I doubt I pass the Teach Insight survey anyway...

Never have had an interview with a district that make you take those things, so I assume I fail them.

7. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jun 29, 2016

They may seem like they won't help, but they will in the long run. High school classes read many of the same stories that you will probably read in those three classes: middle school too, but more with high school. There is a poem I use with my 7th graders that I studied in my Brit Lit classes (I had Brit Lit 1 and 2). These classes are great for deeper insight into these works of literature and the authors and time periods. They're also great for resources and background knowledge! Also, a lot of the stories, authors, and time periods I read in those classes were on the Praxis exam that I had to take for my certification. In one interview, I was asked questions about my knowledge of certain works of literature and how I would use them in the classroom.

Good luck with the courses and the job search! :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    kaitydid likes this.
  8. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 29, 2016

We're all pulling for you...this community is pretty close.

IloveSF likes this.
  9. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 3, 2016

If you have any desire to teach high school English, you are going to need those three classes, even if you think you don't. My literature classes provided so much context to the very works I ended up using during my student teaching (Shakespeare, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Stephen Crane, F. Scott Fitzgerald), and my classes helped me understand the literature on a deeper level. That level of understanding helped me prepare my lessons, and I had students tell me they learned so much from me because I had to ability to explain the authors, the time period, the development of literature of that time period, etc. Plus, as ChaRMS stated, much of the literature you learn in those classes appear on the Praxis, and high schoolers often read American and British literature, especially in the 11th and 12th grades. You don't realize it now, but you'll be a much stronger English teacher by taking those three classes you listed.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    teacherintexas and CharRMS like this.