Advice??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by heatherewf, Jul 8, 2014.

1. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

After 3 years of job searching, I'm well aware this is a good problem to have. But I'm very nervous and would appreciate some advice!

Here's the story...

District A: online school, I interviewed last week. Interview lasted an hour and a half, the P told me all about the school. She felt I would be a "perfect fit" in a 4th grade position working with students in need of reading remediation. But, it's a team teaching job and the other teacher requested to interview any candidates the P had in mind for this particular position. The teacher called me today for a phone interview that I feel went really well. The P has already informed me of the hiring process - if I'm hired, the head of school will contact me with an offer. This person is currently on vacation and will return to work on Monday.

District B: inner city district, about an hour commute from my house. Had what I thought would be a screener interview today with the asst super. He offered me a job on the spot!!! Hardly any questions and I know he's interviewing a lot of people for only a few positions. He told me HR would contact me with an offer in a few days, possibly as early as tomorrow.

There's also a District C that's been stringing me along with the promise of a second interview for over 3 months now but it hasn't happened, so I'm basically writing that one off, for now. It's an inner city district about 35 mins from me.

I would absolutely prefer District A. No commute, very interesting position, lots of support from the mentor teacher, flexible schedule which means more time with my two young kids. I don't mind the inner city schools, it's the hour (plus) commute each way that turns me off from District B. (I didn't even apply for District B technically - I applied for a job in a closer district that shares a county-wide Applitrack with District B so that's how they got my info. I went on the interview thinking it was for a different district. Whoops!). The problem is, I know B will get back to me with an offer before A will. I'm not even 100% sure A has hired me. I told the A principal I'd contact her after the phone interview with the teacher. Do I call her tomorrow just to let her know I had the phone interview or should I also let her know about the offer from A and flat out ask if she's hiring me? (In a nicer way than that, obviously.) In the meantime, how do I stall B? I will take the job with B if A falls through because I need a job. I have never had a teaching job so this is all so new to me and I NEED experience. I can't mess this up and end up with nothing. Any advice? Thank you!!

3. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 8, 2014

Congrats!! This is a good problem to have! And can I just say, sometimes those multiple district applitracks bother me! I don't like that you can't choose which district. We have one that literally is for districts all over the state!

Could you stall District B saying you need to talk to your spouse about it? It may buy you a day or two.

I would call the District A principal tomorrow. Based on her reaction to the phone interview, I would mention the District B offer (if you have it already when you call). Hope that makes sense.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2014

I agree. Call A first and try to move them along if you can. As for B, ask them for some time to think about it.

If push comes to shove, this
    tells me that you should play it safe and accept B.

In the last year, I have accepted 4 jobs that were not perfect fits. Yes, four. (Well one was a perfect fit but it was only temporary, hence the lack of a perfect fit.) Next year is one of them. It has killed me to accept a position when other, preferred districts have open jobs as well. And my temporary district hasn't even posted jobs yet (they may not have any). I have bounced from place to place trying to move closer to my target with each move. First I had to get away from terrible conditions that could have ended up causing me to lose my license. Then I took a temporary job. Then I took a job with a 180 mile daily commute. Now I have accepted a job in a financially unstable district teaching a grade level that is not preferred, and I've already been warned about the discipline problems I will have. But, it is 5 miles away. Now I'm in the right area with a permanent job, so I only have to get into the right school. My point? Sometimes it is better to settle for a little while. Choosing be is not the be-all-end-all.

Good luck!
    (And congratulations!

5. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

Thank you for the advice!

District B HR called today to present the formal offer. They need an answer by tomorrow morning! Yikes! I called the District A principal and left her a voice mail both on her work number and her cell and haven't gotten an answer from her yet. I'm so nervous, I have no idea what to do!

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 8, 2014

If worst comes to worse say yes to district B. But let them know you can't sign paperwork until next week as you will be away, in the Caribbean, without cell service. Lol hopefully district A calls and offers the job by then.

7. blauren

blauren Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

I'm in a similar position. I was just offered a job and it's not really what I want to be teaching and the large public school district in my area has just started the hiring process last week and I would prefer to get a job with them. I accepted the offer and said I was on vacation for a few weeks to give me some time before signing a contract.

8. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

LOL Bunnie, what a great idea! Thankfully, the online P called me back yesterday and let me know I've been hired! I won't get my official offer until the HR person is back from vacation next week, but I very politely declined District B. :)

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 9, 2014

Glad to hear it worked out. Maybe a real Caribbean vacation is in order. LOL

10. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

Hey now that I have a real job, I could start saving up for one! haha!