Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher304, Aug 15, 2011.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 15, 2011

I am looking for advice from anyone.

I have been lucky enough to be able to interview for a variety of different opportunities this summer. However, I cannot seem to "beat" the interview and secure a position.

I constantly ask for feedback and always get "you interviewed well, we hired someone with more experience" or "we liked you alot but we gave the position to someone who just finished her student teaching here" I am aware that they could just be being nice by saying I did well and not mean it sincerely.

Any advice on how I can sell myself better, it seems nearly impossible when you are up against people with so much experience or student teachers/TAs in the building.

I always focus on how my strengths fit the school and avoid buzzwords and talk about my sincere love for kids but it seems no one is listening.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

It sound as though they're going with people better able to demonstrate their experience.

It doesn't take a lot of experience-- student teaching will do. But you need to have concrete examples of your effectiveness.

Just as an exercise: now, off the top of your head, name 5 kids you've taught in some capacity that showed some growth, and explain that growth. It can be academic or personal, but give me the 1st names and stories behind 5 kids who know you're a good teacher.

4. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 15, 2011

Well--there was Teresa who had alot of trouble with vocabulary so I taught her to make flash cards and reviewed them with her before the test.

Henry was very overwhelmed with the course and could never understand the homework, so we did the homework together every day after school.

Simon had a hard time settling in the first few minutes of class and never came prepared to start the Do Now. I always had a pencil on his desk before he walked in and started the Do Now for him so he was on track.

Alex had issues with organization and several times throughout the year I helped him organize his notebook and folder.

Mike felt very overwhelmed with the regents coming up, the day before the test we sat for 3 hours going over the material and he wound up remembering alot and doing well on the exam.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

So it seems that you have strengths in helping kids who need organization and who are overwhelmed by content. You need to convey that in your cover and in your interview. Talk about how you make personal connections with students, you find ways to support them in overcoming struggles with organization and preparedness, and you are able to differentiate instruction and confer individually with students who are overwhelmed and having difficulty with content. These are all great skills...highlight them in your interviews!:thumb:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

Have any of your interviewers ever heard of any of these kids???

As czacza said, they need to be mentioned in your cover letter, and talked about in interviews.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

Name them by name (fake names are fine), to reinforce the impression that you connected with them and their specific needs.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 15, 2011

So sorry you can't get hired. Hmm, if I were you, I'd 1st ask myself is there ANYTHING at all I think I may be doing/saying wrong about anything from the moment I walk into the interviewing room to the moment I leave the room.

Let's see (I'm thinking out loud here):

- Shake hands & stay standing until they tell you to sit
    - 1st question's normally what experience do you have that leads you to applying for today's position (or a smiliar question).

I smille here & there when appropriate to do so. That goes a long way.
    At the end, I personally shake hands again & thank them for taking the time to talk w/ me.
    You want to answer ea question thoroughly, but don't be too brief or lengthy.

Is there anything in your past work that makes them question you? Maybe at a job just a yr for example? (They may wonder why such a brief time).

Good luck & I'm hoping your day will come soon! :thumb: