Advice Would Be Appreciated

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by toiatoi, Apr 24, 2013.

1. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Apr 24, 2013

Hi everyone! I know that there is a board for paras but I wanted some insight from a teacher. I am going to be starting in about 2 weeks as a para for a first grade classroom. I was given a brief description of my duties, but is there anything in particular that you like in your paras? What are some do's and don'ts? I know that I will learn along the way, I just really want to make the best of this opportunity and be as helpful to the teacher as possible! Any insight would be great! Thank you!

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 24, 2013

Sorry - we don't get paras in our classroom - boy, do I wish we did!

4. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Apr 24, 2013

Oh that stinks! In my school district every K-2 classroom gets one. And then we have special education paras for every grade up through high school. I really think they are a big help!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2013

Be cheerful, flexible, and willing to jump in with both feet. Try to anticipate opportunities to help the teacher without always waiting for direction.

Spend some time building relationships, learning the students names, making mental notes...anything that will help you become a better teacher...because that's how the children will see you.

AND...have fun!

6. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Apr 24, 2013

Thank you! I think that is my fear, that I will be waiting for direction when I should take initiative because I'd be afraid of stepping on toes! I need to find that balance, but that can only come with experience!

I am a girl scout leader for kindergartners so I'm sure I am all set with having the energy and cheerfulness. I just want to make sure I can be the best help to the teacher as I can! Anything to help make her job easier!

Thank you so much for your input! That really helps me a lot!

7. Rox

Rox Cohort

Apr 25, 2013

Definitely let the teacher know that you are open to direction, feedback, etc. One thing I noticed about my paras is that I have a tendency to leave materials on the table once I finish working with a student. My para always cleans up after me! That really helps!

8. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Apr 25, 2013

That's a great idea! I just wish I could meet with her before I actually start. Since it's the end of the school year and they need someone to fill this job immediately I'll be going in head first!