Advice w/ working with autistic child

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by SchoolRocks, Nov 8, 2010.

1. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Nov 8, 2010

Hi- I was just hired by an elementary school to work one on one with n autistic boy. No behavior issues, just have to help him throughout the day. I do not know much more than that unfortunately

I have never worked with an autistic child, however I am 2/3 of the way through my special education LD degree- so I have had some classes.

I am nervous that I am not prepared enough- but excited because it will be great experience!
    The school and special education director are aware of my lack in experience but still hired me sooo....

Any tips? Advice? Favorite resources or websites?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2010

Will you be instructing him or just working with him on what the teachers have already prepared. Most likely, you will be working with him on what the teachers have already assigned.

I would focus on motor breaks when necessary as well as peer interactions. Sometimes, students with autism struggle with this and can push their peers away.

Second, if you can find pictures or hands on demonstrations for anything, it would be really helpful. Many children with autism struggle with the figurative side of language. Anything you can make more concrete is a must!

Remember, all people with autism are different and must be treated as such, so what works sometimes may not work with another child! Go in everyday positive and ready to learn.

4. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Nov 8, 2010

Thanks for the response-
    Yes I believe I will be working w/ what the teacher does.

Sounds like I will just need to be patient, get to know him, then discover his particular needs.

Thanks your post gave me a lot of ideas and was very helpful :)

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 9, 2010

... and when you know a little more about your student, and you have particular situation or activities or whatever that are a struggle, we'll be able to give you lots of ideas! :)

6. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Dec 1, 2010

One thing that I wish my paras were more interested in is sensory issues with our kiddos. Depending on his needs, there might be quite a few and addressing them can really help with major behaviors, but also minor issues, like focus.

Autism is really interesting! You'll have a blast!

7. atkhorses

atkhorses Rookie

Dec 3, 2010

incentives

I am looking for an incentive plan for students in the behavior unit. I am at the middle school level (a para). I would like to be able to award tickets for focusing on getting work completed, making it to class with few distractions, good behavior with other students in the classroom (which can be very hard because there are plenty of distractions and words being thrown around due to the variety of behaviors!!). I'm thinking of giving tickets, but I don't know how many per good behavior, how often (like, will I be able to keep up with the tickets awarded consistently) and finally what the incentive will be. The teacher I work with has said if I have any ideas to bring them. So, I'm trying to figure out a good one! I'd like to be able to have a grand finale of pizza party maybe at the end of semester. (here again, I don't know how often to do this-is 2 times a year enough for motivation??) Also, on the flip side. What would consequences be? Currently there is a desk set up away from everyone--can't see computers, tv, other students and work is to be done there. I suppose not earning tickets will be a consequence to a certain degree. Because when students see others cashing them in, they will want tickets of their own. I'd appreciate any ideas of awards/consequences. I'm checking in during the school day for ideas! Thanks so much