Advice to your younger self...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jjoyce, Oct 26, 2020.

1. jjoyce

jjoyce Rookie

Oct 26, 2020

Hi everyone,

I am currently in my third year of teaching. Some days it already feels like I'm settling into a routine and becoming a little too comfortable/lazy, other days I feel like things are so crazy that I'm barely hanging on. It's all an adventure, and I love how different every day is.

This aside, I would like to know: if you could give one piece of advice to your younger teacher self, what would it be?

- J

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 27, 2020

Don't take work home.

There is always something I could be doing, but I'm more effective when I leave work at work.

nstructor and Iris1001 like this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 27, 2020

Take every opportunity to observe other teachers.

Tired Teacher and Iris1001 like this.
  5. jjoyce

jjoyce Rookie

Oct 27, 2020

Yes, I totally feel this! Thanks for the advice.

6. jjoyce

jjoyce Rookie

Oct 27, 2020

I definitely need to do this more. Thanks so much for your advice!

Backroads likes this.
  7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 27, 2020

“On teaching:...the job seems to require the sort of skills one would need to pilot a bus full of live chickens backwards, with no brakes, down a rocky road through the Andes while simultaneously providing colorful and informative commentary on the scenery.” - Franklin Habit

miss-m and Tyler B. like this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2020

OMG! I could write pages, but shall refrain.
    First: Find a way to make a good home/work life balance.
    2. Take a day off when you just need to rest. ( I retired in a way that I lost a ton of sick leave.) 3. Work stays at school. If it takes 30 minutes extra, stay, but don't bring it home. ( If an hour is needed, I'd do that too.)
    4. Your weekends are yours. Enjoy them!
    5. Don't let people guilt trip you into doing lots of extra things.
    6. In the end, test scores don't mean crap. The kids will remember how you made them feel and what they learned from you.
    7. In the end, evaluations do not mean anything either. They are 1 person's opinion of you. I was at the top of the chain for most of my teaching career. Then got a new, young P who didn't know much and he gave me 3's a lot which I let irritate me for a few yrs. lol I finally learned to let it go when someone told me that I had forgotten more than he ever knew to begin with.....It was so funny b/c it was so true.
    8. Help new teachers whenever you can if they seem nice.
    9. Look for the good and you will find it. ( If you look for the bad, that is what you'll find.)
    10. To top it off, don't take things personally. Be kind. There will be some people that you will never make happy. Don't waste your time with them. Spend your energy wisely.
    Whoops! So sorry! I just reread a you said 1 piece. I thought 10 was "restricting" myself. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Tyler B. and Backroads like this.
  9. AmberP

AmberP Rookie

Jan 15, 2021

Hello! I would advise myself to pay more attention to myself, to rest, and also to work more. It seems to me that this is basic. Also, take care of your health and sleep at least 7 hours.

10. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jan 15, 2021

I love these! I would also add: avoid the company of negative teachers even if it means you eat alone in your classroom. These people will bring you down and cast shade where you need light. Avoid complaining - not to be confused with advocating for your needs and your students.

miss-m and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2021

At 1 time our lounge got to be a gossip hub. (Untrue, hurtful stuff towards a staff member) If you have to eat lunch alone, but if you can even find 1 or 2 who do not buy into the gossip, invite them to eat lunch with you in your room. It is nice to have a break with fun adults.

12. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jan 16, 2021

My interest in the profession was sparked by a semester of field experience, but my younger self was not a teacher. I worked in IT and started at a really good company. By the time I left, I was making $70K (with bonuses). I had an amazing benefits package with 401K match up to 10%, quarterly production bonuses, and was given stock. I was a dumb 20-something and spent every bonus and stock money on material things and fun. Only invested 3% in my 401. I also rented for 10 years out of college.

I should have gotten some investment advice. I may have been a millionaire by now.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. pearie

pearie Rookie

May 26, 2021

That's so true! Health is the most important thing, you can't take it back.. I wish I started taking supplements and vitamins earlier. My husband has some health issues too, he has ED now, so he has to take some meds from Enhance Club. But I think if he had taken care of his health before, everything would have been so much better!

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  14. Regan@Off2Class

Regan@Off2Class Rookie

May 26, 2021

I honestly would tell myself to BE MYSELF! I would also reassure me that it’s totally okay to stay home, make art and dress how I wanted- life is short!

15. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 26, 2021

Stick to a pursuit of a career in finance.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  16. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 27, 2021

17. juliaameli5356

juliaameli5356 New Member

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:34 PM

Have a huge load of trust in that individual in the mirror. ...
    Take up a type of activity.
    Don't judge.