Advice to New Teachers

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by aceighthgrade, Jun 22, 2007.

1. aceighthgrade

aceighthgrade Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

To teachers just starting out:
    I wanted to pass along some advice to help you to get through your first year of teaching. I have been teaching for nine years; 2 years in fifth grade and the other 7 years in 7th and 8th grades. Teaching is a great profession; it requires a lot of patience and love for your students. But, it can be a nightmare if....
    1. You are not prepared-continually keep students BUSY. That does not mean giving 5 pages of worksheets. Create activities that will challenge your students and keep them engaged.
    2. You try to be your students' friend. The kids have enough friends!!! You have to be the authoritative figure in the room. They need structure. If there is no structure, you will have a slew of classroom management and behavior problems.
    3. You don't set expectations from the very first day of school. Inform students what you are about and what you expect from them. This sets the tone for your class. No tone=problems in the classroom. Tell the students that you want respect from them and in turn, you will respect them. Inform them of your routines and policies on the first day. Also, explain the school and class rules every day during the first week of school.
    Hopefully, everything will work out for you this school year. Enjoy the rest of your summer.:D

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

4. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Thanks for the advice and for the link. I learned alot! Keep it coming.

5. mswife

mswife Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

A lifesaver for me

I'm not the most organized person! I type up a sheet of first names of the kids, about 8 lists to a sheet. I keep a bright colored folder handy for collecting the tons of STUFF that everyone has to turn in--permission slips, health forms, writing prompt for the literacy folder, whatever. I staple one of the name lists to the front of the folder, and check off each paper as I get it. I know who still owes what at a glance, and later, I can alphabetize them, file them, turn them in to the office, prepare reminders to return, answer parent questions that come in written on them, etc.

I also tend to tape small lists on the inside back cover of my plan book. I know who's already been Author of the Month, Citizen of the Week, been recognized on the school's Academic Wall of Fame, things like that. Helps me!