Advice re: interviewing, professionalism, etc.

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beezus, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 24, 2006

OKAY- here is the deal: I am a second year teacher. Last year, I was in a job share position. I signed this year's job share application with my partner about a month ago. Once it is signed, a job share partner CANNOT step out of it to take a full-time position in our district.
    I also applied for and was just hired a few weeks ago to be director of my school's after school remediation/enrichment program. I am very excited about this position and really look forward to it. This position requires plan time during the school days (though flexible and will fit in on the days I am not in my classroom).
    SO- I will be in my classroom 2 days/week, and in my program room 3 days/week. Last year, I subbed as much as I could on my off days- this year, I will be going to my own school and planning for my program instead. Another upside is that my pay is increased greatly.

Now the dilemma-- the school my kids attended just called today to set up an interview. This is another district from my present job. This would be a full-time classroom (IF I even got the job!) as opposed to my weird set up now. My initial thinking is that it would just be unprofessional to resign from both my job share and the program position.
    Any thoughts? Do you also agree that it would be unprofessional to back out?
    Thanks for your input:thanks: (I just hate all of this job search stuff)

3. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 24, 2006

My opinion is that if you signed something saying you will be working with a district for the next year it would be unprofessional to resign. You may have to wait until next year to find a full time classroom teaching position. If you were to back out it might make you a risk when you apply for other jobs and could hurt you in the long run. I know every application I filled out asked if I had ever not fulfilled a contract for any reason.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 24, 2006

Hummm... I think it is kinda unprofessional however you have to think of your family and how this will impact them. Will this give you more time? Will this give you more money? If you do get this job at the other district, you could go into your current principal and ask him/her if it would it be difficult on him/her to let you out. Make it clear you haven't signed two contracts. Most principals want you to be happy and are willing to let you out. However, they aren't obligated to let you out of the position.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2006

Yes, I do think it would be unprofessional to resign. Your reputation will follow you.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2006

I'm afraid I have to agree. You've given your word. What's it worth to you?

7. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 24, 2006

Me as well, however if you talk to the rioght people they may let you out with no hard feelings

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

IF you get this other job, it can't hurt to say to the principal "I know I signed this contract, and I'm willing to honor it. I do have another offer, which would benefit me because x,y,z. I'd really like to take this other position, but I wanted to talk it over with you first, because i know you're counnting on me."

9. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 25, 2006

I went into the superintendent's office (he's the one doing the interviewing along with a few teachers) to personally let him know that I am declining the interview. I explained that I already have committed to these other positions, but am thrilled to have even been considered, etc. I also asked they keep me in mind next year.

I am really sick that I had to pass this opportunity. There is no possible way I could call my job share partner and say, "hey-- guess what........" at this point. But at the same time, I hate that I had to pass on the opportunity to get a full-time classroom.
    Please tell me that I did the right thing.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2006

You did, absolutley!!! And the superintendant KNOWS it-- he'll keep you in mind.

Some times it's a killer being an adult, isn't it?

I say you deserve an ice cream sundae (For dinner, not after it) for doing the difficult thing!

11. TESOL_is_fun

TESOL_is_fun Rookie

Jul 25, 2006

Bravo to you, Beezus! That was a tough choice, but it shows your integrity.

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 25, 2006

That is so tough! You are so brave for having done it. Maybe next year the school will call you asap!

13. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 25, 2006

Thank you all for all the positive thoughts. I really hope I came across as both capable and professional. I hope the WILL remember me if anything comes up next year.
    When both the secretary and then the super told me that I was HIGH on their list, it made it hard. That's really what made me question my decision. I know it was the right thing to do--- but darn it!! I hate that I had to pass on the opportunity!!
    Thanks again!! I'm feeling better again.
    (PS-- I DID go out for ice cream! LOL)

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2006

Good job Beezus.. you did the courageous thing..:)

15. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 25, 2006

You did the right thing. I had a school I really would of wanted to work for call me for an interview after I had accepted an offer verbally and I did the same thing. I asked the principal if I could keep his information and to keep me in mind for next year. I agree it was hard but it will keep your invaluable reputation positive.

16. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 26, 2006

Yep-- when I told him that I was thrilled to be considered and to please keep me in mind next year, the superintendent actually told me they wanted to do all they could to get me on staff......BOY- did that make it even harder!!

17. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 26, 2006

I think that made a positive mark for you on your commitment to your prior obligations and showed them that when and if they got you on staff you would be as committed to them.

18. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2006

you'll probably get an even better position from that other district next year because of how you handled all of this.

and darn--the ice cream talk has me craving something sweet and nothing's open.

19. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 27, 2006

Beezus: Kudos to you. And so refreshing! But I hope there's a way for you to figure all this out next year BEFORE signing time comes 'round at your current location! And hopefully, there will still be a position just waiting for you!

20. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 27, 2006

Beezus you did do the right thing, and as hard as it "feels" know in your heart that you not only stuck to your word, but it also made you more trustworthy. It is hard and I dont understand why schools wait sooo long to "make their decision" or "narrow down their list". But Kudos to you!!