advice--please

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jenn888, Oct 5, 2009.

1. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

Our P is fairly new he and I came the same year 2 1/2 years ago, well this is the first year he has started committees, he wanted everyone to sign up for two, so I did. Even though lots of people did not:crosseyed Well one committee is the math committee there are only 5 of us on the committee two 2nd grade teachers, 2 4th grade and one 5th. Well our committee advisor planned for us to visit a school that is doing Everyday Math and has been doing it for years. Since this is our first year on that program we were all excited to go. Well today our P decided that only one of the 4th grade teachers and only one of the second grade teachers gets to go, b/c he doesn't want two from the same grade level going. The other 2nd grade teacher and I go above and beyond at that school, we both volunteer for school activities. In fact we are the only two out of 56 teachers that signed up for math tutoring club. I have never asked to go to a conference or anything special like that, in fact this is my 2 1/2 year teaching (I took over a class mid year) and I have never missed a day of work!! ok now that I have vented I need advice, the other teacher and I want to go to the P and ask why we both cant go. There are 6 teachers on our 2nd grade team so its not like the subs would be left hanging. Any suggestions??

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

You could always ask why you both can't go, but my suspicions are that it's budget related... the more people that go, the more people they have to replace.

There's no harm in asking though. (As long as you do it respectfully of course, which I'm sure you would.)

4. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 5, 2009

I would just go ask your P why he made that decision. Just be respectful and do it in private. When communicating how you feel, be sure to use I statements.

It could have to do with budget issues. Do you get professional days where you can either go to a training, conference, or another classroom and have a sub paid for? If you do and this is that important to you and he says it is a budget issue, then offer to use that. It will show how important observing the other teachers at the school is to you.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 6, 2009

My school uses Everyday Math-- I know that doesn't help you much but if you'd like to email a math teacher at my school about it, please let me know.

6. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Oct 6, 2009

Yes we have professional days for this type of thing, so I am not sure what the reason is.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 6, 2009

I'd politely ask just to make me feel better. If you're not confrontational he'll just state his reasons. I'm almost willing to bet it has to do with tenured teachers?