Advice, please?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by K_luv30, Mar 7, 2009.

1. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

In December, I was put on an improvement plan by my P because of my classroom management (btw, he recently did an informal eval. and was impressed :)). I have a formal eval. scheduled in two weeks to see if I've improved in the areas noted on the imp. plan. I don't plan on staying in the district next year because the drive is too far, and my car isn't going to last much longer. My question is this, do I wait to tell my P that I don't plan on staying after my fomal eval., or tell him before when we meet for my preeval? I'm worried they won't renew my contract, and then blow any chance of getting a letter of recomendation, making it harder to get a job elsewhere! Any thoughts, or anyone in a similar situation? Thank you.

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2009

Personally I wouldn't say anything, but that's just me. Can you survive financially if you leave and don't get another job? Do you have something else lined up already? Those would really factor in my decision. I know long commutes stink (mine is currently 50 mins) but at the same time, I can't afford to take a chance of not working...

4. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Mar 7, 2009

I wouldn't say anything, either... until I had to.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 7, 2009

Don't say anything until they're ready to give out contracts. You will want a good formal evaluation to show your improvement on your file and to include in your teaching portfolio. I'm not saying he'd be judgmental and say poor things about you, but its better to keep quiet until the discussion of a position for next year starts.

6. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Mar 7, 2009

I wouldn't say anything. But at my school district you have to fill out an intent to return form about 3 months before school ends.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 7, 2009

I don't know what state you are in, but I would make sure you "have" to do this, and it is not just something the district would like everyone to do.

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

We fill out "non-binding letters of intent" also. They say it's so the district can plan how many positions that they may have to fill. I am assuming that they are allowed to do so. They have done it all six years that I have been here.

9. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 8, 2009

In Texas, we have to sign "letters-of-intent" in January or February, but we don't have to give the school district a firm answer until June. My husband is in graduate school, and our position for next year is uncertain because he's applied to several schools to get his doctorate. I went ahead and signed yes on my "letter-of-intent," knowing that I can always say no up until June if I need to. Having said all that, my advice would be to find out when the final deadline is for giving a yes or no and wait until then.

10. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

I really appreciate your responses, I know what to do. Thank you so much!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2009

And by the way...good luck with your eval and meeting! :D