Advice Please

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Shontasue1, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Shontasue1

Shontasue1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

It's only the 4th week of school and I already know I want to leave. I teach 9-12 drama and I thought it would be fun because that's what I love, but I have already learned that I want to teach elementary. I feel like they see drama as a blow off class and most of them are taking it because they need it, not want it, but I really want to reach children before they have all these hard nosed ideas about everything. Any advice.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2007

Run...

Seriously, if what you are doing is no fun, get out. But you may want to finish out the current year where you are. I don't know what the law is in Florida. In California, breaking a contract is grounds for action against your credential. And even if your credential is not vulnerable, your reputation will follow you.

And who knows, by the end of the year, you may decide you like it where you are.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2007

My sister teaches high school art and only enjoys the classes with students who seriously love art. The majority of the kids are there just to take up space, and they are rude and uncooperative on top of that. She has stuck it out for many, many year, but it has taken a toll on her. I wouldn't leave in the middle of the year, I'd feel too awful, but knowing that you might prefer lower grades is a good thing to find out early in your career. Go for what you'd be happy doing next year.

5. ALOVEFORTEACHIN

ALOVEFORTEACHIN Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

I know what you mean

I would never leave in the middle, but what is the best way to look for another school without losing your current job before you have another?