Advice please!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teach2heart, Apr 30, 2007.

1. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

Hello,

I am a new teacher this year and was teaching in a long-term leave-replacement position. I have resigned from this position recently due to various reasons. To start with I had very little support, no curriculum training, little mentor or new teacher support, and a class with extreme behavior problems where these students were receiving insufficient support related to their behavior plans, etc. with the special services teacher. I could go on, but the primary problem was that I was becoming continuously sick due to burnout and stress. It was very difficult to leave the students at this point in the year (we go until the end of June), however, at this point I needed to take care of my health.

My question is this: I still want to be a teacher and am not sure how best to continue. I would like to apply for a teaching job for next school year, probably with different school districts. I left the school on good terms, however, can my principal technically be a reference or should I not include this information on my application? I am stuck as what to do next. I have also considered subbing next year. I am looking for advice from anyone who has been in this same situation or knows of anyone who has experienced this. I truly appreciate your advice and suggestions!

Thank you :)

3. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Apr 30, 2007

You left on good terms, right? I would definitally not try to hide the fact that you left before the end of the year because if you are found out- it could look embarassing- like you did something wrong. If leaving is an issue, I would just explain that you left your position due to health related issues, and under different circumstances you would have completed your contract with out a problem.

Good luck w/ the job hunt!

4. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

Just a note....Not wanting to rain on your parade though...Some principals may think that if you had to leave a job due to health problems then you might not be worth the risk to hire...i.e..you may be out sick all the time.

5. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 1, 2007

When I began teaching, I was put into the new teacher mentor program with a mentor that didn't really do a whole lot. In fact, I had to go to other teachers to get questions answered and help on most things. As far as curriculum training, there wasn't really any. I took the classes, when they were offered, just like everyone else but basically, I had to muddle through it on my own.

You are a first year teacher...it doesn't get any tougher than that. It's all new, you don't know what to expect and on top of that, no one else has time to help you because they are just as busy as you are. I am sorry that it was so stressful but rest assured, you aren't the only one who has ever felt that way. When you get that first year behind you and under your belt, it does get easier. Sure you are still learning and things can be rough but, you will never have a "first year" again.

As long as you left on good terms, in may not hurt to get a reference from your principal. What about your cooperating teacher...I am assuming that you recently finished student teaching?? How about a college professor?? Other teachers at the school you did your long-term subbing? Good luck to you! ;)

6. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

May 1, 2007

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions! I truly appreciate this. My initial feeling is that I should substitute next year to gain experience and confidence as a teacher, make connections and get to know different schools/districts and grade levels. I know that this experience can only benefit me at this point. Thank you again and best wishes!

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 1, 2007

I didn't sub at all...I jumped right in after school and started teaching that next fall. I guess it just depends on your situation and opportunity and whether or not that opp. presents itself. Good luck!

8. ana1489

ana1489 New Member

May 2, 2007

:) dear teacher,

first i would like to tell you that i am a to be teacher, and i totally understand you. :) i am very sorry of what happened to you, but let me tell you that you have to be strong because students know when a teacher is weak. Believe me they take advantage of this.:(
    As a teacher the best advise i can give you is to make up your mind. students are not going to be easy with you just because you have personal problems. the truth is that they dont care, and its not that they are mean its just normal!!:angel: So try to be stronger next time just show them who is the mediator of the class and that they have to respect you because you are the teacher!!:cool: jajaja ok i hope you really succeed as a teacher!

sincerely,
    ana1489​