advice please!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Oct 30, 2006.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Oct 30, 2006

Okay, so this is my first year teaching and I plan on carving a pumpkin tomorrow.

First of all, I have never carved a pumpking before and that makes me nervous(I have seen a pumpkin carved, does that count?)

My plan is to read the book "The Smallest Pumpkin" and talk about how I chose my pumpkin(it is a small pumpkin) and then talk about the different parts of a pumpkin.

I also plan to briefly discuss the parts of the pumpkin. I will let my kids vote on the face and then I will carve away. I am going to have a bucket to put the "guts" in with damp paper towels nearby so that when we finish our pumpkin I can allow the students to feel the inside and wipe off their hands.

After that I was going to let them go to their seat to prepare for our party and have them enjoy their snacks.

Any advice for carving a pumpkin and dealing with the management of my classroom? Am I not thinking of something that I may need to do tomorrow?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 30, 2006

I've actually never carved a pumpkin either, but do buy one of those pumpkin carving kits. My teachers used them last year and didn't have a problem. This year she tried with several knives and couldn't do it. We did the graph thing too. I ended up drawing the faces on it. LOL. Then we discussed the parts of a pumpkin and there is a worksheet online that has the parts and a line drawn so you can properly label them. It has pulp, seeds, etc.

4. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Oct 30, 2006

Hate to be a party pooper.....but does your school have a policy on knives/sharp implements in the building? Just a thought.....

5. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Oct 30, 2006

well...i don't know for sure...but i ran into a kind. teacher at the store and she carved hers yesterday...so I guess there is no policy on that..but i will be very careful in putting up the instruments i use..

6. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Oct 30, 2006

You might just want to check with the admin before starting the carving.....no sense in getting into trouble needlessly. You know how "interestingly" things that happen in class can travel back home.

7. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Oct 30, 2006

I tutor for an after-school program in the city--we scooped our pumpkins today and will carve faces tomorrow. My students are in sixth grade and they had never carved pumpkins before.

We are working on graphing and estimating, so we did measurement activities that allowed us to estimate first. Tomorrow we will graph our estimates and actual measurements as well as carve faces.

I would suggest a garbage bag to put under the pumpkin as you carve. Each of my students had a garbage bag on the desk and it contained the mess very well--we simply rolled the bags into balls and threw them all into another bag when we were finished.

Have fun! Take a metal spoon with you--they are best for scooping out the insides and getting all the pulp scraped out!

8. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Oct 30, 2006

I choose not to carve a pumpkin this year, because I didn't want to deal with all the extra stuff and time allowment. Instead we painted a pumpkin. The kids choose what the face was going to look like then I painted it. I teach preschool sped. I wish I would have carved one, but we had a crazy day today, so i'm glad that I just painted it. I only have my kids for 3 hours, and we were running out of time.

9. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Oct 30, 2006

remember when you cut out the top to angle the cut so the outside is larger than the inside part of the pumpkin, thus preventing the top from falling into the pumpkin.