Advice, please?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by TX Teacher, Aug 30, 2006.

1. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

As a new special education teacher, I need some imput on a problem that happened today. I am one of two high school content mastery teachers. Part of our responsibilities is to get mod sheets and BIPs out to the regular ed teachers who serve the special education students. While doing so today, I was just "reamed out" by one of the vocational teachers about how many sped students he has and how many modifications they all have. (He actually stated, "Why don't I just give them all a 70 and forget it!") I just let him yell and vent, and when he paused for a second I told him "not to shoot the messenger" and walked away. Anyhow...the more I heve thought about it, the madder I have become. His class is one that many of these sped students really need and could learn a valuable trade for their futures. That really upsets me. A fellow sped teacher that I am close to advised me to tell the principal about my colleague's unprofessional behavior. However, as the "new person" I am a little leary of doing so. What do you all think? Tomorrow I have to return to give this same teacher a BIP on a new student. Not looking forward to it at all! Thanks for any suggestions!

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2006

Walk In Our Shoes! (To your vocational teacher)

TX Teacher,

I wish the vocational teacher would walk in our shoes for once! I used to be a vocational student in high school. I was enrolled in Marketing Education (DECA) and I was a former special education student. We weren't given any special breaks such as accommodations and modifications (late 80's.). There are still general education teachers who have the attitude that students with special needs are all trouble for some apparent reason. I made a difference with my vocational teacher. I have mild autism and if you're aware, we have social deficits as well. I was interviewed for the class and it was the teacher's personal choice whether to take me or not. She decided to give me a chance and it turned out to be the turning point of my career. Her name is Neva Irwin from Rockport, Texas. She was my Marketing Education teacher back in Portland, Texas. I was beyond shy, introverted and always non-social. I preferred not to be a team player or partner. I always "felt" that doing things on my own was the best way. I was encouraged by her to enter a DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) contest but I was reluctant. I chose to give in because she was willing to help me with my "social shell." I entered and I won first place in the even related to my part-time job. I thought I had no abilities to do anything special and I had never won any kind of competition while in school. Mrs. Irwin was so pleased that she had our pictures put in the local newspaper. I decided from that day on to become a teacher. I originally wanted to get out of high school and almost gave up. I wish you could share this reply with that vocational teacher. I want him to know that I had TONS of respect for their accomplishments, but he personally lost my respect. He has to walk in "our shoes" to understand what it's like to have a disability. I didn't get any special treatment and now i'm in my seventh year of teaching children with autism. I love this career and I want him to know that even students with disabilities can overcome obstacles. Just look at your students' IEP's and do what is says. Also, make it clear with the vocational teacher that the law states that all students with special needs have the "right to have accommodations and modifications." If you get any more lip, document what he says and keep it in a safe place. If you feel like he's pushing you away request a meeting with him and the administrator and state why it's hard for your students to make progress. If you don't stand up to these "bullies" who will?

Troy in Downey, CA (I proudly embrace my autism)
    AspieTeacher
    If you work in the district where I used to live, I might even know the teacher's name possibly. There are too many teachers who are stuck in the "old school" and need to retire.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  4. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

Thank you Troy! I appreciate you sharing your story with me. I went to the principal this morning and he is now handling the situation. I am glad that I decided to let him know about this person's behavior. I will have an easier time standing up for my kiddos now, with the principal's support.

5. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2006

anytime...

I protect my students like a MOTHER BEAR.

Troy in Downey, CA
    AspieTeacher (I proudly embrace my own autism)