Advice please

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Apr 8, 2021.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 8, 2021

We have been mostly remote and blended up until last week. A lot of my middle school students have shown behaviors I have not seen from them now that we’re all back. For example one of my girls has gotten extremely nasty and disrespectful. I’ve spoken to mom and the student. She says she isn’t disrespectful and I’m always wrong. I’ve been teaching a very long time and feel like I’m really struggling. Thanks for any advice you have.

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Apr 8, 2021

Can you turn the focus away from what they are saying you are or aren't doing and back on what student is or isn't doing. If you can stay unemotional in your communications with them, do so. Ugh. So sorry you have to deal with this. Good luck. Oh yes, and document, document, document.

nstructor likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 9, 2021

Saying they are nasty and disrespectful is open for interpretation by parents who always believe their kids and/or don't even know what those terms mean. Are you specific in what kinds of things they are doing? Are you giving them examples? Honestly, I doubt some parents even know what you are talking about because they act the same way in their own homes and by now it's normal to them.

nstructor likes this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 9, 2021

“It is disrespectful to (insert whatever student said/did). If that behavior continues, i will/you will (insert consequence).” Then move on.

I had to use that last week. Called a guardian. “(Student) disrupted class twice by making sexually suggestive remarks to another student. The first time he said (insert student remark), and the second time he said (insert student remark). I called to let you know that if this behavior happens again, he will be referred to the office for sexual harassment. I would appreciate it if you could talk with him about this behavior.”

nstructor, MrTempest and MrsC like this.
  6. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 9, 2021

If the behavior continues after you have made contact with the parents write the student up. However, I typically handle these situations myself just because I hate wasting time contacting the admin or parents. Though I myself feel hypocritical for saying write them up, if the student is messing with the learning environment you need to nip that asap.

nstructor likes this.