advice please

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hokiegrad1993, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Oct 26, 2018

So this is my first semester student teaching experience. I am working at a title 1 school and let me say the behavior is rough. My mentor teacher is an amazing teacher but when it comes to working with an intern not so much. I do not get much feedback from her, I get attitude when I ask for help and she went behind my back and told the students I was a college student when she told me she was going to tell them I was just an assistant teacher to keep the respect level there. (From there the students lost it with me and they misbehaved and gave me attitude and flat out said we don't have to listen to you)
    I have talked to my advisors and they are on my side and understand that I am not in the best situation to help me grow. My mentor teacher constantly walks out of the room knowing my students misbehave and lose it when she is not in the room and I cannot regain the control.
    I know I am learning and there is a lot to work on but I know I can do it. It has come to the point where I am getting a new class on Monday because my advisors realized my mentor was not a good fit in helping me grow. They made clear it was not an issue with me but with her. Besides the behavior problems the connections with the kids was there. I feel bad for leaving but it is for the best. I feel bad also because I promised lunch bunches with some kids before knowing I was leaving.
    Entering a new class I am nervous. i am hoping it is in a different grade so it can be a clean slate. (I am worried that she told other fourth grade teachers stuff which could cause pre-conceived bias) What are some things that I can do to make connections with new class?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 27, 2018

Is it at the same school?

I always tell my students that a student teacher is learning, so they need to be extra nice and helpful. Mine are old enough to realize that learning is a rough process sometimes, and they don’t need to make it harder by being turds. Our student teachers do multiple placements, so they are always with two teachers in our building.

Hopefully the new placement suits you better. However, make sure that you learned some things from that experience because those kids will be your kids at some point in your career, and there won’t be anyone to rescue you by moving you somewhere else.

4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 27, 2018

When I have had a student teacher, I tell students that they are a student teacher and learning while in our classroom. They will be taking over classes eventually. I also tell them that we are respectful to everyone in our room. I have the relationship with the students so they believe me and usually behave for the most part.

otterpop likes this.
  5. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Oct 27, 2018

Should be the same school waiting to here :)

6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 27, 2018

Basically, you need to remember a student teacher is still a teacher. When someone disparages your position, it is up to you to act professional as a teacher would. We don't have to listen to you gets the response, No one has to do anything, but any student who chooses not to listen will definitely find themselves with consequences. A student teacher is a teacher. Period.

Don't bring your baggage to class with you. If it is still 4th grade, just be glad for the opportunity and do all you can to contribute to the team. If they have gossiped or have preconceived ideas about you, you can't control that. Just control your response. Prove them wrong.

Hope it goes well.

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  7. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Oct 27, 2018

Thank you :) I plan to go in there with a positive mind and hope my new mentor has more of a growth mindset. I do plan on talking to mentor about issues on what I want to work on the most but in a positive light. I am hoping for the best.

otterpop likes this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2018

Your mentor should not be leaving you alone with the kids if they’re not behaving! My mentor never did because she knew the kids wouldn’t behave for me until later so she never left me alone until the end of my practicum. It is tough in a title 1 school but this is not your fault!

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Oct 28, 2018

Congratulations on making it to student teaching! It sounds like you are close to getting your license, which is very exciting. Keep it up!

Regarding your previous placement and “mentor,” I am so sorry that you had to work with such a difficult person. She sounds very unprofessional and her telling your students that you are “just a college student” is totally unacceptable. I sincerely hope that your new class is a better fit for you.

I would be kind and inviting. Let the students know that you are here for them and that you will do everything you can to ensure that thy are successful. Be strict with enforcement of the rules, but not overly strict. For instance, I’ve had students approach my desk to ask me a math question and absentmindedly pop a piece of gum in their mouth right in front of me without evening even thinking about it. I was lax in that instance because the students in question immediately realized their mistake after I gave them “the look” and they put it in the trash and apologized. (Normally, chewing gum would result in their getting a detention at my school, but I recognized that they did not so it purposefully and so I let it slide.)

First, never reproach students in front of their peers as they will resent you for it. Second, take the heat out of situations when students talk while you are instructing. For example, “I know you’re excited about the lesson, but please don’t talk out of turn. You will have a chance to speak in the next few moments.” I then call on said student when I propose a question to the class and state, “You were so anxious to speak earlier and so I would like you for you to tell me how to...”

For minor offenses, try to find ways of disciplining without divvying out a consequence and try to interject appropriate humor here and there to help ease boredom. In my case, I build scenarios into many math problems like, “Chuck Norris lies at the origin (of all things) and conjures up a righteous fireball of Justice, given by the function y = f(x), to incinerate all of his unworthy enemies from x=a to x=b. If he were to revolve said curve about the horizontal axis, then what is the volume of the righteous fury Chuck would use to vanquish his opponents?”

I do this stuff all the time and build situations where my students are in the problems, too. They love it and it keeps thing fun! You should give it a try.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Hokiegrad1993 likes this.