Advice please :/

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ninnee, Jul 24, 2013.

1. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

So basically in a nutshell I am a career changer. I have my bachelors in graphic design. I have been in the field now for about 2 years ( im 24) an all I can find is freelance though luckily it is steady. When entering college I toyed with the idea of teaching or design and obviously took the design route. I'm now regretting my desicion and decided to go back via post- bacc, for elementary Ed and middle school science. I'll also be certified in art. Today I met up with an old highschool teacher and she basically informed me I was crazy for going back to teaching as it is not worth it because jobs are so few an far between which I understand. Sad thing is I know I want to do this but I keep hearing such discouraging things. By the they way the program will take me 2 years who knows how it'll be then. I feel like im in such a pickle. I just needed to vent and get some advice. Thank you all for time

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 24, 2013

New Jersey is a tight job market. However, I think your freelance background might work as a strength for you. You can point out your real-world experience in your field and how you can teach it as a practical trade.

4. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

I know that computer lab teachers are hot right now in some parts of CA because of the SBAC. Technology is the way education is headed... if it's not there already. Would you consider relocating for a job?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

Middle school teachers are typically dual certified: math and science, or LA AND SS...the art degree isn't going to make you marketable as a science teacher, only as an art teacher, and those jobs are few and far between. Elementary Ed is saturated in NJ. You might consider a cert in special Ed to make yourself more marketable for both the elementary and science certs. Good luck to you.

6. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

Hey hey hey now! I am 25. :|

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

Ummm...the preferred terms here around here are 'seasoned' and 'experienced' veterans.:D

8. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

NJ is saturated. I would be the last guy to tell you to avoid your dreams though. I have heard they want MS Science and Social Studies (Districts incorporating the two into a humanities job). It cuts down on a teacher that way too.
    If you are close to PA you can simply add on some of these certs by getting a content cert and praxis testing for the other one. Best of luck.

9. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

Sorry...didn't mean to offend anyone with that comment. :/

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

I have no idea how the job market is in NJ, but it really depends on a myriad of factors: location and demand for x field. Middle school seems to be the easiest of the three levels to find employment--so I think it's great that you are getting certified in middle grades. I'd also look into adding another middle school certification or two and be certified in Science, Math, and maybe ELA or something. You should definitely plan and prepare for positions in science, not on elementary or art because those are harder to come by. I did my post-baccalaureate in 1.5 years and had a position immediately out of student teaching, so it is definitely doable. Make sure while you are student teaching that you are highly collaborative with your CT, network with the administration, do everything you can to establish them as good references and potential administrators. The job I accepted was with the school I interned with!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

I was being funny.:rolleyes:

12. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

The only problem with picking up second and third certs in Nj is you need to have 30+ credits (including 15 higher level classes) in a discipline to teach it in MS or HS. I took an ESL endorsement in PA and got that on the NJ recip program but English or SS or Science requires a bunch of credits.

13. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

Aww I'm sorry! I didn't mean to sound defensive. I was just pulling your leg. :) I tend to have a snazzy sense of humor. Forgive me!

14. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

I hate states like that... Well, it's something to keep in mind though if she wants dual certification to be more marketable. Might as well start working on lacking credit hours asap. Does social studies require only 30 hours in the social sciences or a specific major (history OR geography OR anthropology, etc.). She might already be well on her way towards that certification. ??

15. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 24, 2013

I was in your same boat not too long ago. I graduated with my bachelors in sociology (and a PR/communication background) when I was 23 - debated on education as well, but obviously went a different route. After graduation I moved and decided PR wasn't what I wanted out of life. Enrolled in a post-bac program that would take 2 years. I did grades 1-8 with a minor in social studies.

Now I am 26 and finished my program in June. I'm still job searching and pray every day I get an interview which leads to a spot for my own classroom in the fall. If I don't, I'm hoping to sub (just applied to a couple districts and am waiting for my main district to post). I won't lie...it's been rough (I'm in WI). However, at the end of the day, I know that everything happens for a reason and teaching is where my heart truly is.

Additionally, I feel not having my bachelors in education has provided me with experience that has helped me in the classroom in terms of life experiences as well as dealing with parents.

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose:)

16. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 24, 2013

Is that a 6-12 certification or NJ rule? In my program, we were not allowed to be dual certified in math and science or LA and SS. It had to be one from each category (i.e. SS and science or LA and math). Or you could just do one.

I just had my minor in SS since my BA is sociology and all my credits transferred. Interestingly, the majority of my teaching experience has been with math (taught it my last 12 weeks of student teaching and for 4 weeks in 2 classes during summer school). Now I'm wishing I would have gotten my math certification!

17. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

Thank You

Thank you all for replying, as it really means alot. To answer some questions, I am willing to relocate once I finish the program and have been looking into what possible states would be a good choice. I know the art field is extremely hard to get into but I figured if I can have the cert I might as well, it can't hurt. As for the MS subjects, as long as I have my Elementary Ed cert I only needed 15 credits in the designated subject to teach it in MS. I already have the science and would only need 2 more classes for History. Math is another story-I need all the classes. As much as I would love to teach high-school sciences I would basically be going back for a whole new degree and don't have the money to do so. As for special ed I was going to start that program once this one was finished, which takes a year also.
    Funny thing is all my friends went to school to be teachers and they all landed jobs right away. Not sure how they did it. One in Newark, New Brunswick, East Brunswick, Piscataway, Hoboken and Woodbridge lol.

18. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

I applied in all those areas, got 2 rejections from Newark and haven't heard back from anywhere else but hoping I will hear from somewhere soon. ;)

19. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

It's not an NJ rule..in NJ if you are elementary certified and want to add an endorsement to teach MS, you need to have 15 credits in a content area, a course in adolescent development, and to pass the middle school subject area praxis exam. Or if you go the secondary route you are certified to teach your content area in K-12.

But generally, most MS teachers (at least the ones that I know) are certified in 2 content areas. Like I'm elementary certified and am working on getting an endorsement in Middle School Language Arts (since I majored in English, and my college required all elementary ed. candidates to take Adolscent Development all I need to do is pass the required Praxis exam). I also qualify for MS Social Studies, but one step at a time. :D

20. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

No worries...sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet sometimes and I guess that was one of those moments. :rolleyes:

21. LC ELA

LC ELA Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

You never know. If you want to do it, and you say you do, then I suggest you go for it. My boyfriend got a teaching job right out of college, and upstate NY is tough. If you are unable to get a teaching position, your teaching certification(s) could certainly make you more marketable in many fields - educational publishing is just an example.

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 28, 2013

I don't know how the situation in NJ is but I think if this is what you want to do, and this is where your heart is, you should go for it.
    1. in 2 years things can be very different than they are now
    2. your art background coupled with your technology background will be a big plus, and technology will be more and more important. Although I don't know how valuable it would be for elementary, more for middle school, and even more for high school, you could even teach ROP classes.
    3. if you have a steady income on the side, it would help you through the times while you're job hunting. Let's face it, we all think we'll get a teaching job as soon as we finish, but the majority of new teachers go through 2-3 years of subbing or otherwise working while job hunting.

As far as what you should be certified in, you should research it and listen to what others here have to say. I'm in Cali and I know here there are waaaayyy too many elementary teachers, so I assume the market is saturated in most places. In middle school you would need 2 subjects to teach, and usually it would be math with science, although that's not a must. Your art can be a big plus in addition to the other 2 subjects. For high school I think you would be the most successful with science and art, because they could hire you to teach either, or maybe both.

23. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 28, 2013

I'm just "growing bald." :lol:

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2013

:lol: