advice please on academic feedback..

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by GTB4GT, Mar 7, 2014.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 7, 2014

I need any help/tips/suggestions. I have several seniors who are in serious jeopardy of failing their classes. I have had several one on one talks with each just updating them on their status/progress with special emphasis on offering additional help in the form of tutoring, encouraging them to turn in missing work, etc.

Some of them are historically low academic achievers. several of them however are in "upper level" senior math classes and probably have not ever struggled in previous classes. I suspect some think that they will not fail solely on the basis of being a senior.

My talks never seem to have the intended affect - the kids seem to get defensive or withdraw. Not one of them has ever came in for additional help - although I tutor students almost daily, many of whom are not in my classes. I have asked our guidance councellor to intervene - she is a very nice lady and may be perceived as "less threatening".(although I try very hard to tread lightly with the kids in this as I realize it IS a sensitive area.)

I don't want to just back off and let the chips fall were they may. My P has pretty much told me to pass them regardless of the grades received so she is not a resource in this issue. Any tips? Ideas? Suggestions? How do you handle this.as always, thanks for any constructive feedback.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 7, 2014

What are some of the reasons/excuses the kids are giving you when you talk to them?

I have found that a lot of seniors, even good kids, struggle with the final part of the year because, frankly, they are terrified to graduate. They don't know what they're going to do, or they are afraid to face the unknown, so they fail.

Have you involved their parents? Even though they may be 18, they're still in school and moms and dads need to know what's happening. We have our seniors actually call home in the middle of class to let their parents know what's happening!

4. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 7, 2014

To your first question - that is the frustrating part. really do I receive anything of academic value during these conversations (outside of having documentation that proactive steps were taken to intervene). Answers are somewhat vague, noncommittal and evasive. Thus hard to diagnose and correct.

Secondly - yes, where deemed appropriate, calls have been made to parents (with mixed results there.)

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 7, 2014

What is your student population? Are these kids college bound, rarely graduate, in between? That can make a difference. Did you ask them about their plans after graduation?
    I'd start there. If they're planning to go to college (and hopefully applied already) or some other continuing education, then the importance of the high school diploma should be apparent to them, they might just need a reminder.
    If they're lost, maybe you can try to talk to them and guide them, or find someone who can.
    If they're simply going to get jobs, they still need to see the importance of the diploma.

I don't think they just don't care. Kids often don't know how to communicate, so their vague and noncommittal answers may be hiding their true emotions.

But seniors are often just tired of everything, the 4 years of school, the pressure, etc.

6. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 8, 2014

In my county, if a student cannot graduate on time, they put them on an easy online class to bring up their GPA.