Advice Please? And did you have to move far for your job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by UpperMidwest, Apr 4, 2019.

1. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Apr 4, 2019

I wish I would have discovered my love for teaching while I was an undergraduate and single; then I would not have a problem to relocate to get a job. But I am 37 and married and because of my spouse's job, I am tied to my area. I am willing to drive up to 1 hour to get to work though. I have about 3 years of subbing experience. My educational background is in business and marketing education. I completed alternate teacher education courses and have everything done for my licenses with the exception of student teaching and the edTPA.

I have some anxiety about finding a job and I am wondering if it is worth it for me to go through the required semester of student teaching and pay the $2,000 cost linked to it. Also during student teaching I would lose out on maybe $8,000-10,000 that I could have gotten from a job--so we are talking about an opportunity cost of ~$10,000-12,000 for something that is far from a sure thing.

I have already spent a lot of effort and time on my teacher education program and have already taken out about $7,000 in loans, so, I feel pretty bad about dropping out, but perhaps I made a mistake, and, if I am in a hole, I should stop digging. As a sub I have talked with couple other subs with social studies credentials and it sounds like they regret getting their licenses in that area (one told me that outright). But both business education and marketing education are listed as shortage areas in Wisconsin which is one of the reasons I decided to get the credential (although I do not know of data saying it is a shortage area in my specific region of Wisconsin).

So far I have not been able to get an interview--I know one reason is because I do not have a license and I am competing against others who have one--but another seems to be that my area is saturated in my region; in my teacher education class, there are a few students who area teaching math or science on an emergency license--so they will get paid for student teaching. Yet I am afraid that due to my license area--even though it is listed as a shortage area in Wisconsin--I will not be able to find a job within a commuting distance even after I get it. Today I only saw 3 openings within my commuting distance which is very sad. Of course I applied to all 3. Since it is listed as a shortage area I thought that even though there were few listings, there would also be few applicants. Now I am not so sure.

I know this is all a guessing game, but based on what you've heard from me, do you think that if you were in my shoes you would drop out or would you roll the dice and move forward with student teaching? Also, out of curiosity, did you have to move for your job and if so, how far did you move?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 4, 2019

It truly depends on how much you need the salary now versus the salary that you would earn as a full time teacher with benefits. It also depends on what you are hoping to teach. If you are looking for an Elem. Ed. position, there is stiff competition in that niche. If you have more talents, that would make you more marketable, then it is a different story. I don't know what the market looks like where you are, but that is the one question only you can answer. Answer it honestly, not colored by self-doubt. As I said in the first sentence, if you can't afford to take the pay cut at this time, your answer may be different from mine or anyone else's answer. Be honest, consider your potential market, and then either walk away for now, or commit 100%. Self doubt once you are in the ST experience will not be a good thing. I, personally, if I could afford it, would choose to make the switch sooner rather than later, but just my opinion. Best of luck.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 4, 2019

That's too bad you're stuck in your area, but I totally get how it is. I'm stuck here because of my husband's job too.

But unlike your situation, we have a high shortage of teachers in all areas, and vacancies are filled by long term subs. We currently have 100+ open positions as of today.
    If you know anyone who *can* move, send them my way :)

As for your problem, I have no advice for you. That's tough :(

UpperMidwest likes this.
  5. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Apr 4, 2019

I can afford the initial loss of $$. I am just wary about getting my certs in business education and marketing education, and then finding out that the job market is too saturated in my area so I am out of luck.

6. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Apr 4, 2019

What state are you in? Just curious.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 4, 2019

I think I’d go ahead and student teach so I didn’t feel like I had wasted my time getting my degree.

I was lucky enough to get a job in the district I wanted after subbing for a year.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 4, 2019

Illinois, but not the Chicago area

UpperMidwest likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 5, 2019

Have you surveyed districts that you could be interested in to assess the number of staff that they have in your certification? I might even go so far as to call and ask if they are overwhelmed with applications when an opening occurs vs a moderate turn out regarding applicants. Some districts may offer more classes in your certificate, while others offer classes that are closer to just the basics. I always find it best to ask these types of questions of your eventual employers. After all, you are not asking for a job right now, simply gauging supply and demand.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    UpperMidwest likes this.
  10. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Apr 5, 2019

Each high school or middle school usually only have one business education teacher.

I have called a few schools to see how many applications they received for their business education opening. One told me 11, but also said that it is usually hard to fill the role of business education teacher. Another HR person just told me they received applications, but would not tell me how many. I think I will call some more. Thank you for your suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019