Advice, part 2

Discussion in 'General Education' started by txagteach, Jul 17, 2012.

1. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

So, I posted about looking for jobs while pregnant and whether to disclose/not disclose my pregnancy during the interview. I chose NOT to disclose my pregnancy, even though I was 6 months pregnant at my last interview and as my husband put it "looked the part" (it's our 3rd). (My last interview was June 20.)

So, I was offered a job on July 3. But, instead of the principal calling me to offer the job, it was the HR department. As soon as I got the contract and signed it on July 9, I tried to contact the principal to talk to her about my pregnancy. By then the school was closed for the summer and she hasn't returned my phone call or responded to my email, asking her to call me back. I know she's gone this week on vacation. Next week we are moving and then I have a reading curriculum meeting at the school. I really, really want her to know that I'm pregnant before I see her at the training.

If she isn't responding to my efforts to communicate, should I just send her an email with my questions about next year and then a short graph about my pregnancy? Something like this (I'm not going to bore you with my questions about room assignment and high frequency word lists, so this is just the pregnancy part).

And, finally, I’m not sure if you noticed during my interviews last month, but I am expecting. I am due in October and plan on working up until the delivery and then taking off the minimum time that my doctor will allow—probably from October to just after Thanksgiving. Of course, my number 1 goal is to make sure it’s an easy and seamless transition for everyone. I am confident I can make that happen with my experience, diligent preparation, and organization. And, I will be in constant communication with the sub and live so close by that I am happy to drop by whenever I can to assist, if needed.

I really wanted to be able to speak to her since email can be so hard to gauge sometimes, but considering I haven't been successful in getting her on the phone, this might be only option. Thoughts?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

I would really try to talk to her in person without an email. However, I like the email that you put together as a last resort.

4. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

mopar--my problem is that she's on vacation this week. I will be closing on my house Monday and moving across the state the next 2 days, then immediately have training. I've tried like crazy to get a hold of her and kinda feel like I am at my last resort, ya know?

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

Can you go in a half hour or so before the training?

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2012

I wonder if you should take out the "may have noticed" part and simply speak matter of fact about your pregnancy. While you had no obligation to disclose the information, I could see her being put out that she now needs to hire a sub after having staffed the building. If you really did "look the part" then you could always play it off as you thought it was obvious, but stating "as you may..." sounds like you know you left out information.

Congrats on the new job and good luck with the move and baby.