Advice or suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Jun 18, 2014.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

I teach the Pre-K class at our church preschool. It is 4 and 5 year-olds who are getting prepared for kindergarten. We are open year round. I have a fun, but structured class with learning centers. The children need to be able to work independently or in groups. We require that all children in our center are toilet trained by the time they enter the 3 year-old class. You may agree or disagree, but that is our center policy. I have a new student that has just started in my class. He will be in my class this fall and they wanted to start this summer to get acclimated. The director and I failed to ask if he was toilet trained. It is in our handbook which the parents read. (or said they did) When we realized he was not, we met with the parents and told them we would try him in my class for the summer and see how he did. He was born premature, so I am taking that in to account. However, he is on a 2 year -old level. He does not understand one and two step directions and can not work independently. He does not understand what is a choice and what is not. Like he can choose any center, but circle time is not a choice. Also, the toilet training is not going well. Partly because I have not done this in many years. My class is older more mature kids. The director and I have talked about what our goals are and of course, toilet training is #1, but if that does not happen we can't just move him to the 3 year-old class because our school policy is they must be toilet trained in that class also. Moving him back to the 2's which is his maturity level seems so far to go. I know when children are developmentally behind it is important to try and keep them with their age group. Suggestions?

3. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jun 18, 2014

Is he showing any signs of being ready to be toilet trained? Can he dress/undress himself? Are his parents on the same page with you (training at home)? Has he been referred for being so behind developmentally?

4. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jun 19, 2014

No referral and they are trying to toilet train. He just wants me to hold him a lot and does not understand to follow simple instructions. When I get on to him for things, I ask myself if he was 2 and I was a two year-old teacher would I be getting on to him for that particular thing and the answer is "no". I just expect more of my 4's and they can do more. For instance, not putting paint on their face in the art center.