Advice on work situation

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Chibistar09, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Chibistar09

Chibistar09 Rookie

Oct 19, 2012

Sorry in advance for the length! I am a first year special education teacher. I absolutely LOVE my job except for one thing-another teacher is bullying me and making my life miserable (we're both SPED teachers). It may be a personality clash, but it's getting worse and worse with every week (or day!) She's a second year and she is REALLY good at what she does. I'm a first year, so I make mistakes and have a lot to learn. But, she makes it a point to criticize every little thing I do wrong! She's also said things in front of me that are really inappropriate. For example;

-I was working with one of my student who was scripting "I want Ms. X!" because I removed a token from their visual schedule. She looked over and said "Sorry, you have to work with her for the next hour!" (she said it in a pretty negative way)

-I've overheard her making snide remarks about my ability to another teacher

-Constantly criticizes me when I forget something minor or tells me to do something differently in a nasty way

-Snaps at me when I can't find something and says "Maybe you should actually look!!"

-She criticizes me at LEAST 3X a day

It goes without saying, SHE makes plenty of errors too and when I asked her about a worksheet folder she forgot or other materials, she snaps at me and tells me to get over it. Or she laughs and acts like its no big deal. She is very catty and immature and constantly gossips.

It's gotten to the point where I feel uncomfortable asking her anything because she snaps at me. I asked her today for a folder with IEP sheets and she told me to go find it myself (she had just had it and I didn't see she had laid it on a counter out of eyesight). I've been getting shaky around her and I start making a ton of silly errors because I'm so nervous. When she's not around I do an amazing job. My principal gave me a 95% performance review last quarter...

I'm afraid of approaching someone because she might get worse and I'm terrified of getting laid off because she's so well liked. No idea what to do..I really really love my job.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2012

Well, you can either keep doing your job and ignore her. No one will really know how you feel (yet they can probably guess) and you keep her from moving worse.

Or you can say something to her directly. Have a little conversation with her and just be honest (as nicely as you can). She'll know how you feel and may decide to act a little nicer to you.

Or you can try being over kind. Maybe stop and pick her up a coffee or create something and share with her. She may just start being nicer to you and offering more constructive advice. You could also thank her when she does offer advice (even if not very nicely).

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Oct 20, 2012

Do you have a union? This might be a situation to discuss with your building rep.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2012

She is your peer, not your superior. You have a right to confront her and tell her to back off.

6. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 20, 2012

You sound like a great teacher and a great person. Don't let this little negative evil person do anything to motivate you to quit.

She's probably jealous of you or she just likes being mean. Is she generally nice to people that can help her get places, but mean to those that can't (i.e. subordinates or other teachers at her level)?

Can you think of when it started happening? Was she kind and courteous at first? Maybe you talked about the review your principal gave you, and she got a lower review? Maybe she knows you both can be let go at any moment (not yet tenured) and she wants to make sure it's not her?

There are ways to find out. Kill her with kindness or let her know every time she is evil. Right away catch her on it and say "I'm not just going to blow things like that off anymore. If you keep cutting me down to my face, in front of students, or behind my back I'm going to go to the principal or union."

7. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Oct 20, 2012

Once thing I would definitely do would be to document everything!