Advice on when to apply for Texas teaching cert.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LakeSophie, Jun 12, 2009.

1. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jun 12, 2009

Hi Friends!

I'm moving from FL to Houston (area), TX for a job. I have already signed the papers etc. I have my teaching cert in FL (and MI too) and need to apply for my Texas cert. I'm moving to Texas July 1st. Do I start the process NOW before I move to Texas, or can I wait 2 weeks until I move to Texas and have a Texas address, Drivers info, etc?

Advice?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2009

I think you could wait. They're normally quick about getting things together.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 12, 2009

I agree with STG.

5. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jun 12, 2009

I have another question...My driver's license does not have my new address. Will this hold things up with cert and finger printing?:unsure:

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 12, 2009

It shouldn't with the cert because they never see it. Not sure on the finger printing though. Have you registered for the fingerprinting? I remember having to sign in and i think they made a copy of my DL. Maybe you can work your way through the registration on line and get the name of the fingerprinting place and call them.

7. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Jun 12, 2009

I moved to houston last year for a job. I was certified in Iowa but not in Texas. I moved in August and the day I went to HR to sign my contract I applied for my 1 year certification with the HR lady. Because I was already Iowa certified I was allowed to start teaching before my 1 year certification was issued. I would say you are fine to wait. It only took about 2-3 weeks before I got my 1 year certification and getting my standard was just as easy.

8. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Jun 12, 2009

PS your address on you DL does not hold anything up. I still have my Iowa DL and it was able to get both my Texas teaching certificates easily and quickly!

9. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jun 12, 2009

Thanks!

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 12, 2009

I teach in Texas and haven't had to deal with out of state issues. However I would contact SBEC ( state board of education) to figure it out. They have a website too. You might have to take certification test even if you are already certified in another state. I would check it out ASAP.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2009

When I moved to NC, I lived here 8 months before I got my DL or my car's plates changed over. I got my teaching license withing 2 weeks (well, it didn't come that quick, but it was applied for and approved that quick).

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 13, 2009

LakeSophie,

Runnerss got a point, and I should have mentioned that, too. I assumed you had already checked out that your certificate is accepted here. Normally you have to pay a fee and they will look at it all and see if you are good to go or if you need to take a test.

Lemon

13. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

If you do have to take a test, don't panic. When I got hired to teach 5th grade I was only certified up to 4th. I could still teach and I had a year to get certified for 5th. I THINK that is the same for people out if state, but not sure.

14. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

Lemon & Runnerss,

I do have to take the test(s), but I am eligible for the 1 year cert in the mean time. I need to sign up via sbec to get that 1 year cert. I think I'm going to wait until I really live in Texas to do that though, as it is only 2 weeks & I'd hate to have it all lost in the mail. (We had that happen with my husband and his certificate from Michigan..)

Now to only find a way to pay the $230 it will take to do that all for both of us (as my husband is in a similar boat & needs to do the same thing as well..)

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2009

Lake~do both you and your hubby already have jobs down here? What areas are yall certified in?

16. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

We both have jobs in the Houston area specifically Pasadena schools for 2009-10. I'm certified in elementary (in MI & FL) and my Husband is certified HS Math & Physics (in MI)