Advice on Teacher Textbook Theft

Discussion in 'High School' started by doingthemath, Oct 20, 2009.

1. doingthemath

doingthemath New Member

Oct 20, 2009

First of all: I'm a new teacher. First year. In my school students have full access to the school between classes and apparently someone snuck into my classroom while I was out (most teachers keep their rooms unlocked) and walked off with one of my teacher edition textbooks. I don't grade homework for correctness or use the text as a source for tests or quizzes, so there is no significant advantage to the person who stole it.

I have announced the theft in my classes and discussed the futility of taking the book and expressed an expectation that it will show up again when the person who has it either realizes they took it by mistake (hah!) or their guilt catches up with them. A few weeks later: no book.

Can anyone think of a good strategy to either flush the culprit or induce him/her to return it? I don't want to be perceived as someone on a witch hunt, but I don't want it to seem like I don't care either.

Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2009

HI and welcome!

If it's been a few weeks, I'm guessing it will be pretty hard to get your book back.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 21, 2009

Could another teacher have taken it??

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 21, 2009

There's no chance it could have been put on another shelf, under another book, in a bag, or some other hiding place?

6. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Nov 29, 2009

the bigger the deal you make out of it the longer it will stay missing - give it up - it's not coming back! put ur energy into teaching

7. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Nov 30, 2009

I'm guessing..if a student took it, they did it because you are a first year teacher and they are 'pushing your buttons'.

Its been over a month..any luck in finding it?

8. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 8, 2009

This happened to one of our teachers once. She said the kids had 24 hours to get the book back on her desk or she was switching to a different, less interesting textbook. It showed up.

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 28, 2009

Phrase the questions on several homework assignments in such a way that the kid who has the teacher's edition at home will expose himself by his answers. (Heh, she said "expose himself.") (I'm twelve tonight.)

We had a kid a few years back, in the middle school, who stole the teacher's edition, and was so stupid that he actually answered several questions with "answers will vary." Maybe your thief will turn the spotlight on himself with his answers.

10. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Dec 29, 2009

You may have already done this, but I suggest checking your room up & down, every little nook & cranny. My first semester teaching I had a little angel who would "steal" my TE. He was actually hiding it in random places to push my buttons.