Advice on Principal comment during interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachme2, Jul 12, 2007.

1. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Ok....I had an interview 2 weeks ago for a Kindergarten position at the district in my hometown. I thought it went well...Principal even made the comment that I "would" be teaching this year....good right? Until I got a nice little rejection email from him....

Ok...time to keep on calling....so I found out about a Special Ed position at the same district, but different school...I emailed the Principal and planned to call that afternoon to follow up....BUT...before I could....she called me to set up an interview....YEAH ME....(apparently the two Principals had talked about me...and the first one recommended me to her)...so I interviewed with her this morning....

I crammed all night trying to freshen up on my Special Ed questions....got there this morning to find her with NO MAKEUP and looking like she had just rolled out of bed....then she says that there is no need to go over any questions again since I had already answered them 2 weeks ago.....WHAT? Who does that??? WOW...this is great....what a relief....

She talked to me about an hour and 15 min. about the class, students, parents and asked if I had any questions...then she showed me the school and where my class would be....(she made me feel really comfortable)....

As we said our goodbyes...she said that she felt I was very prepared and ready to teach, however she had to interview a couple more and IF she found a certified teacher...she was required to hire them first!...UGH....she was honest, but said she would contact me next week...

So...I am hoping that all the certified teachers are already locked into their contracts...(today is the deadline)....

I just wondered what your thoughts were on this...I am trying to be positive, but don't want to get excited about it....Can anyone tell me if they know of a Principal that maybe hired an Alt. Cert person even though she was supposed to hire a certified one? Thanks for your insight!

3. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Ohhh....I just don't think it's right for a principal to get people's hopes up by showing them around "their" classroom and school UNLESS they are positive they're going to hire that person! Why would anyone want to do that to someone? I just don't get it. It seems heartless and unprofessional.

4. mincc

mincc Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Did she say if the people she was still going to interview ARE certified? Because maybe they are NOT and she hadn't checked...which she should have done before getting your hopes up.
    :confused:

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

She probably shows all interviewees around the building because she wants to seriously consider the ones she interviews. By showing you around, she sees how you feel about the place. Although everyone is eager to get a position, you can also decide a school isn't to your liking. You don't HAVE to accept a job because it's offered. But of course we do when it looks good!!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

Send her a wonderful thank you note. Remind her of the prime reasons why you're the right candidate for the job.

7. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

follow up

I sent her a "Thank You" email within a couple of hours...and she even responded saying that she would be in touch next week...however, I got word from a connection in HR that I was the front runner so far, but she did have a certified candidate that she had to talk to first...So with that...I am assuming that she HAS to hire her instead....

I am glad that she was honest and upfront about it, but I agree with you guys...she shouldn't have showed me around if she had doubts about me...UGH!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

Don't assume... give her a call!!! Ask about the status of your application.

9. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

She didn't say....but the person in HR (my neighbor) told me that she did have one certified candidate that she is going to talk with before she makes a decision...BUT....the deadline for resignations was yesterday...so I am hoping it is too late for her...

My neighbor also said that it is NOT out of that Principal's realm to hire an Alt Cert person over a certified one...so I am not getting my hopes up yet....