Advice on Power Teaching method

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms_B, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Ms_B

Ms_B Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

I was wondering if there were any teachers out there who use the power teaching method developed by Chris Biffle? I have done a lot of research on the method think it would really work well, however I am not able to attend one of the conferences to get a formal training. I am wondering when you introduce the key ideas-the first day? the first week? I am also wondering how this would look all day-I can see it when you are teaching mini lessons, but I don't know if it is something you do all day with all subjects. Basically I am really interested in the concept I would love to hear some practical advice from someone who has used it in their classroom.

3. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Hi Ms. B

I am a Power Teacher Trainer. I have used the method for the last year with tremendous success! I teach both 8th grade science and college level history. Students in both courses loved it!

The easiest way to answer your questions is to have you go to my website on Becoming a Power Teacher. Click on the Big Six to get a rundown on applying the basics in Power Teaching.

Read through the Big Six and ask any questions you like.

4. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Can you tell me more about the reading game that is offered for $3 on the powerteaching website? Is it for content area classes? I am not sure if I can use it for my social studies classroom.

5. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Go HERE to watch it in action and see what you think. I believe you could use it easily.

6. Ms_B

Ms_B Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Thank you Power Teacher! I have actually watched (studied) the videos many times. The website you provided was very helpful, I just spent the last few hours pouring over it. I actually used power teaching as a student teacher last year with fair success-the kids really loved it, but some of the Big 6 techniques didn't really stick and I think this was due to me introducing it in the Spring when I was teaching after 6 months of my Cooperating teacher teaching in a VERY traditional way. As this is my first year teaching in my own classroom I am totally going to use power teaching-I think it really combines many of the core principles of Positive Behavior Support (PBS) which I enthusiastically support. I again want to thank you-It really helped to read about your experience-and how to implement the key componenets of power teaching.

Ms. B.

7. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 14, 2008

I have also been researching this lately. However, I just keep wondering what this looks like on the first day/week of school? How does one introduce Power TEaching?

8. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Power---Thanks for the site. I have been teaching for 21 years and I am so excited about implementing this in my class this year. :2up:

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

It looks like a bunch of wildly waving kids totally focused on what you are saying. ... The gifted ed teacher today told us she had no idea what the kids were doing when they went to her. She thought they were teasing her and being rude. By now, some of the kids are listening so intently to what is being said that they are moving their arms and fingers in gestures so that they can remember and absorb no matter who is teaching.

I'm sold, but also tired of trying to come up with gestures for obscure concepts. But I'll keep at it. It seems to be working.

10. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Check out my website for a step by step how to on starting Power Teaching. Click on the Big Six, and teach them in the order shown.

11. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Keep in mind that if you are teaching something that is important, but not a critical concept, you can say "Mirror my gestures," or "Copy me," and have the kids copy your gestures. You may or may not follow that with a Teach-OK depending on how important the concept is.

When you are coming up with the gestures use gestures that feel natural to you. Once the kids are familiar with the system, assign pairs to come up with gestures for one vocabulary word, subject to you approval. That takes a little of the pressure off of you.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

How about using American sign language for some of the gestures???

13. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

That would be a great idea.

I am using power teaching too. Thanks Jeff for the suggestions.

~Noni~

14. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

I love power teaching. I have not been trained but I used the concepts that I found on youtube to get their attention (they loved it). I also loved the lesson on the order of operations. It naturally incorporates so many teaching strategies that i will use it again this year.
    = )
    We were on a field trip in the middle of the noisyExploratorium and I said "classity class class", and the response was a loud "yessity yes yes". I was quite proud.

15. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

Great! Stop by my website on Becoming a Power Teacher for a step by step guideline on using the main techniques. Ask any questions you like.

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2008

Thanks for the suggestion on letting them come up with their own gestures.