Advice on new role in a Special Educational Needs class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GT78, Feb 11, 2021.

1. GT78

GT78 New Member

Feb 11, 2021

I've recently took over a Year 11/12 class in a SEN school, the children are 15/16.
    There are a wide range of abilities in the class and managing the behavior is difficult because some of the students don't want to be at school at this age (particularly the boys).
    However, motivating the students and getting responses and enthusiasm out of them seems to be the biggest issue for me. I feel quite limited with what I can do because they are very quick to say no, refuse to do the work and distract others from the lessons.
    I am primary trained and have been mostly in mainstream schools so this is a massive change for me. But in this class now there 8 students in the class and 3 adults, which should be a blessing, yet I constantly feel like I can't get through to half the students and when I do it is after 15 minutes of negotiating and pleading.

If anybody has any advice, I would love to hear from you. Like I said the students are 15/16 but they work at a primary level so I am open to both primary and secondary teacher advice. Also any links, sites, games and resources would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.