advice on my classroom management plan

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Education4all, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

I'm looking for some advice on the last piece of my management.discipline plan. It is for grade 5.

For whole class I plan to give 20 minutes every monday that they will use on Friday for activities like computer, educational games, art, science related stuff, etc., just fun but still educational activities. I will use a stop watch for transitions and if they are prepared within that time then I add the remaining time to the bank for friday. Now if they do not respond to one of my signals then I can hold up the stop watch and start it until they are ready, then that time will be deducted from the friday time. I believe it should work well by giving them more opportunities to earn time but yet still deducting time when necessary and still seen as a positive system for the students.

Now I do not like the idea of rewarding students to do what they should but I've heard many mixed reviews on homework. Many say reward so it gets done. So with that said I was thinking if a student has completed homework then they get a ticket or something each day. At the end of the week they can put them in a raffle box and I can draw five names. Those students can choose a small prize. I'm still figuring out exactly best way to do this. Any advice to better this idea is appreciated.

I do not think these two systems are enough. I believe I will need to address individual students behavior and this is where I am having difficulty devising a system. I would like to to remain positive and if a student is off task or talking then I can address it with a corrective action, such as giving a consequence like a time out if it continues. With that said, we all know such behaviors will continue at times. I was considering something along the lines of chart that is in each students homework folder. I can make the necessary checks for the day if needed then at end of day write what the infractions were. This would go home and need to be signed. I do not want to bother parents unless it is continuous behavior that may be helped by outside influence. Although I am concerned at this school that these behavior charts may not get the parents signature if the involvement is weak. So if anyone can help with this last part so I can effectively manage individual behavior I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

3. F-student

F-student New Member

Jun 29, 2015

Here is the answer. Never give up, keep going, do what you do with all your hart. The little ones you are teaching are depending on you. They are to young to know better, if you dont care no one might not care. Show them the way, every thing has its limits, even little ones acting bad. If you hold out ( not easy ,get tough ) You can and will change their lives for the better,

God Bless
    F-student

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 29, 2015

I don't do charts that require a parent signature. If the behavior is severe enough, or constant enough, I simply call the parent. I've found it to be far more effective.

5. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

What? Are you even a teacher? You sound like a child.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2015

I have found the key is to mix it up. Personally I am not a fan of whole class methods unless they are strictly positive. You will always have some kids on task and ready while you wait for others. It's not fair for them to lost time from the Friday fun. I've had success with using whole class positive rewards such as behavior bingo where they all work together towards a prize, but I address behaviors on a personal basis. Really it just comes down to what works best for you and your class and what administration allows. Enjoy the summer! :) Jodi

7. KLPickett

KLPickett New Member

Jul 4, 2015

My Classroom Management Plan

I use index cards, one for each student. I have pockets for the cards attached to a poster board on the wall. If a student doesn't turn in a homework assignment, or breaks a class rule, or talks back, or whatever... he or she punches a hole in his or her card. Four or less holes earns them 20 minutes of free time on Friday. Five or more punches and they have to leave the classroom and go somewhere (usually the office) to read a textbook for the 20 minutes. Every time they punch a hole, they also write down the reason for punching the hole and the date. Then I initial it. The cards go home on Friday, get signed by a parent, and are returned to me on Monday. I also use these cards to send home "Good News" notes to parents, such as a student being helpful to another student, etc. I send home a letter at the beginning of the year explaining how I use these cards. Parents like them because they know exactly why their child punched a hole. I hope this helps.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 4, 2015

I'm working on a plan to avoid behavior reports to the parents save for repeated and/or serious behavior. I daresay by 5th grade they don't need a constant behavior analysis, but I also like giving a set number of chances.

For the Friday games, I wouldn't deduct time, just let it be missed opportunity of extra free time. I think the team challenge of earning together will be good for them.

For individual behavior, a chart system detailing broken rules shoukd work, though I'd keep it private with this age group.

9. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jul 6, 2015

Thank you for the good ideas.

I am going to employ the rules and consequences from "smart classroom management." That philosophy on classroom management convinces me more than any other. It is quite strict but it is better to give it a go at the start of the year.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 6, 2015

I love smart classroom management! I do credit it for my improvement in classroom management.

11. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jul 6, 2015

I like the ideas a lot. One concern I have is what to do if I have multiple students needing to go to time-out at the same time.

12. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jul 6, 2015

I do something similar with the minutes, but instead of starting with some and losing them, they are strictly earned. We have 45 days of school per quarter, and I want them to earn a reward day 1-2 times a quarter, so I give 1-3 every class period for everyone working efficiently and being on task. If they use my time well, I give it back to them. When they have earned 45 points, they get a reward day in class. I usually have 2-3 options for a reward and let them vote on which one they get.

For individual behavior, I use a check system on a clipboard.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 6, 2015

I want to say the guy suggested having multiple time-out options. I used that in my classroom. If I had more than three in time-out, I saw it as a sign to go over the rules and reel everyone back in.

14. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 6, 2015

I plan on using Smart Classroom Management rules and consequences next year too.

15. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jul 6, 2015

I agree if too many are going to time-out then it would be time to reel them back in.

I was going to have a small yellow visual I can place at the top of students desk giving them the warning with no verbal warning from me, which will not disrupt the lesson. Then I hope having that small visual reminder on the students desk will help to influence better choices and not break another rule which in turn would send them to time-out. I was thinking of having two time-out stations. I wanted to have a small poster on the wall by the time-out desks with instructions to keep following the lesson or doing independent work.

I am curious to know how other teachers issue the consequences. I will train the students every procedure so they are clear what is expected. During a lesson or independent work I would give a consequence of a student was off task or talking. Now what do some of you teachers do during a transition? I know I will have to teach and specify exactly what I expect during transitions.

16. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jul 6, 2015

I was a teachers aide for fifth grade last year and I did student teaching in another fifth grade class as well and having been in the trenches with this grade level I wouldn't do time out.

In one class students had 4 behavior slips in a pocket chart and if they continued their misbehavior after a warning then they had to pull a slip. Students needed atleast 1 slip left at the end of the week to participate in fun Friday time. Students who pulled two slops in a single day had to spend their recess filling out behavior form that stated their bad behavior choice, why they did it, and what they would do differently in the future. These forms were kept in a binder and if they had more than one form for the same type of behavior in a short period of time the teacher would call the parents. If students were out of slips and they continued their misbehavior they would get sent to the office. Some behaviors, which were outlined in writing and posted near the behavior slips were automatic office refferals. This seemed to work well.