Advice on jumping from Private school to Public school smoothly?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LakeSophie, Jul 24, 2009.

1. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

Hi all!

For long complicated reasons, I'm jumping from teaching in a religious private school in FL to teaching at a public school in TX. I'm going from being the only teacher at my grade level to being one of many at the same level. I'm not changing grades, so at least I don't have to relearn everything. In college I did all my work in public schools, but that was 3 years ago!

I guess I'm just freaking out that I'll look like a dunce in front of all of these ladies that know the ropes! In interviews (at a different school) I know some of the teachers weren't fond of the idea of me going from private to public. :help: Reassure me? What should I be asking?

3. motiv8r

motiv8r Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Huh?

You say "some of the teachers weren't fond of the idea of me going from private to public". What does that mean? Your career choices are none of their business. And what basis would they have for doubting you? Unless they knew something you haven't mentioned, you should ignore any doubts they created.

You've seen public schools in action, also. You know what's expected, and I'm sure you can do it, because you HAVE done it.

If you befriend one or more of the people who know the ropes, you'll be in especially good shape, hopefully.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 25, 2009

I think the biggest change you might notice between private (which I now teach in) to public (which I did my student teaching in and grew up) will be the parental interaction, the number of students in the classroom, the paper work, and using state standards and curriculum to set your lessons. From what I've observed, these are the biggest changes but if you can find a mentor you should do perfectly fine.

The teaching itself shouldn't be different--- you'll use the same methods and strategies as you would in a private school.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

Kids are kids, grown ups are grown ups where ever you go. Go in there, hold your head high, if you don't know something, ask. You don't have to know everything...

Be friendly, especially to those you think aren't fond of you.

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 25, 2009

From a leadership role I have seen teachers come from private schools into the public sector to find themselves floundering with the following things:
    - Understanding and adhering to the rules of standardized tests. Sometimes, I fight a battle with some of these teachers because they are not used to the bureaucracy of being in a public school. Generally these teachers do not realize that there is a process and a reason for these things.
    - Realizing that their job is not to teach the text book but to teach the standards. Some of the teachers that I have encountered believed that because they taught the textbook front to back they did their job. Meanwhile they missed tons of material that was important because they did not read the state standards.

I'm not saying that you will struggle with those points. But the teachers who seemed not fond of your move from private to public likely had these things in mind. In my experience teachers who move from private to public are very talented teachers but in general are not used to all the guidelines/regulations of public school. That is likely what their reservations are coming from. I think if you are willing and eager to learn, a team player, and a great teacher you will do just fine!