Advice on Interview Skills

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher304, Jul 30, 2010.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 30, 2010

I know there are alot of threads on cover letters and resumes and landing the interview--I've read all of those.

But, what advice would someone give to someone who is able to secure several interviews but not get a position. How would I know what to improve if all I get is the dreaded rejection letter. I have e-mailed Ps back for feedback but have never received a response. It's almost like I've proven that I'm not good enough for them to even respond back to. How do you avoid making the same mistake over and over again when you do not know what the mistake is.

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

Maybe you're not making a mistake, maybe someone else has just been a better fit for those particular districts in which you interviewed. I know how you're feeling though, I got rejected for 6 (just this interview season) before getting offered and accepting the 7th job I interviewed for. I felt the exact same way you are right now, but it might not be you! As for the Ps not emailing you back, I'd say that's not uncommon unfortunately, some of them just don't like dealing with the bad news or are too busy to take the time to answer the email (yes I know it wouldn't really take much time).

What are you wearing to an interview? Are you giving specific examples as much as possible when you answer questions? Are you just answering the questions, or are you showing a little personality too? (I find it helps to try to have a conversation with the interviewers, helps you click with them and vice versa.) Are you talking about what YOU do? (Not what you've SEEN OTHERS do) Hmmm...there are more but honestly I think you'd know if the problem was you, if you're leaving these interviews feeling good about how it went, you're probably doing a fine job!

Don't give up and don't let yourself get too frustrated for more than a day or two!

GOOD LUCK!

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

I did an interview wednesday and a few of the panel complimented me on my skills. Still don't know if I got the job though :(. Here's what I do to prepare...

I bought Adam Waxler's interview book (through teacher stuff a to z) and I bought Job Interviews for dummies. I studied those books and copied down the questions and answers on index cards and practiced them.

*Tell me about yourself. You know this question will be asked. Write down a one-two minute introduction about yourself and your education/skills on how they relate to the job. Memorize it. If you have been doing something non-education related, talk about how how your skills can be transferred to the classroom. Personally, I don't see the need here to say anything like, "My hobbies are gardening and scrapbooking!" Or "I have two cats!" I don't really see the need to volunteer anything personal. If you do say something personal related it back to the job. For instance, "I am big into scrapbooking so I often do a portfolio project over X unit in U.S. history with my students."

Are you following up after the interview? This also helps set you apart.

Good luck.:love:

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

if you know a teacher that you trust do mock interviews. Have her ask questions, respond. And then she can help you figure out if your responses are a problem or maybe your body language.

I agree it doesn't mean you Are doing anything wrong, but it might help.

6. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

I would just practice the interview questions and remain confident and take deep breaths and slow down when answering questions. Sometimes candiates get passed up because they are not comfortable. I know this process is nerve wreaking but just remember to smile and give your all. Good luck.