Advice on how to best manage time-6 preps

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JoanPD, Sep 1, 2020.

1. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Sep 1, 2020

School starts tomorrow with students, and I could use advice on how to best manage my time.

I'm teaching 6 classes this year
    3 different science classes (2 high school classes, 1 middle school)
    2 different levels of math (and in one period, two levels within that period)
    Middle school history
    Also, I'm overseeing a semi/independent class, which will meet during study hall 1-2x a week, and the student will do their work during a free elective period.

In addition, I have a study hall duty period and lunch supervision.

As much as I'm looking forward to this year, I could use some advice on how best to allocate my time. My goal this year was not to do any work stuff on Sat, but since I need to have weekly lesson plans avaliable, and have grades updated by Monday morning, I'm not sure if that would be possible.

3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Sep 2, 2020

Just throwing this out there:

1) Maintain a level of assignments that allows you to check and grade during the week. Don't have anything due on Thursday/Friday so you can finish grading during the week.
    2) If there is a conflict between the level of assignments and planning, favor the planning.
    3) Consider using class time for completing assignments. Would that reduce student and teacher stress and allow you real time evaluation of where students need emphasis on instruction?
    4) Do your planning during the week so you get the weekend off.

Are teacher workload expectations reasonable? Do you think this is a time management problem on your side, or a personnel problem on the school management side?

4. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Sep 2, 2020

Each class only meets every other day [block scheduling], which makes limiting assignments harder, but I'll definitely try. In the past weekends have been my prime grading/planning time.

I know for me, I'm not the best at manging my time efficently. I could do it, if I don't take any time for myself.

By the time I get home, I am so tired I'm ready to go to bed early, but I still need to plan and get everything ready for the next day. In previous years I would make copies before school, during planning, or during lunch. This year I have either classes or supervision duties from the second the students arrive in the morning until after they get dismissed at the end of the day. Also due to transportation logistics, I can't stay much longer past contract time or get their much earlier then contract time.

5. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Sep 3, 2020

Just seems like you have a lot on your plate. Managing your time is one thing. Having enough time to manage is another.

MissCeliaB likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 14, 2020

That seems like too much. Do all the teachers have the same work load?

7. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Nov 4, 2020

There are two other full time middle school/High school teachers here, in addition to me. One has the same schedule as me, just with different classes, and the third teaches for half of the day and is in the office doing administration work for half the day.