Advice on furthering my education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amethyst, Aug 24, 2010.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Aug 24, 2010

I knwo this is probably something I just need to decide for myself, but I'm interested in hearing some thoughts on it, anyway.

I'm trying to decide if I should pursue my master's and teaching certification in early childhood and special education or art and special education.

My goal is not really to become a classroom teacher, but to have my own business and teach.

Originally, I was planning to open a child care center with a strong emphasis on art. I have been working towards that goal and have realized how very difficult it is to open a child care center (in NJ anyway). I haven't lost all hope for achieving that goal, however, I have come up with a new idea to open a children's art studio that would be marketed towards alll kids (including those without and without disabilities).

I have about 18 credits in art (studio and history), but would need to take some additional undergraduate credits to fulfill the requirements.

The early childhood/special ed program would take about 2 years full-time to complete. The art/special ed program would take at least 2 years, possibly longer.

I guess my issue is that as much as I plan to have my own business, the early childhood degree/cert is probably more valuable in and of itself, will take less time, and is probably the easier of the two programs in general for me.

However, I have a strong interest in the art program as well and could more easily see myself having the business teaching art OR teaching art in a public school, though I'm sure it would be much harder to find a job teaching art than gen. ed. It is also possible, though that I could use my art skills towards other types of businesses, too (photography, graphic design), though I think my abilities are best suited for child care/teaching art more than anything else. I don't know. I'm very confused and have been stuck in this place of indecision for sooooo long.

I guess this is one of those heart (art) vs. head (early childhood) issues that I tend to have quite often.

Any thoughts???

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

I don't know what your state's education degree requirements are but isn't their some way to incorporate all of them? Could you major in one of the areas like early childhood special ed and minor in art?

4. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Aug 24, 2010

Hmm...you know that is a very good idea, except that I don't know if you can have a minor in a master's program. I've never heard of anyone having one. I don't think there are any electives that could it could fit into.

Yeah, I just checked and I don't see that that is an option. It's already a dual certification as it is.

It would be Master's in Teaching (either in Early Childhood or Art) with grade level certification and then additional certification to teach students with disabilities.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

Do you have an undergraduate degree in either teaching or art?

6. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Aug 24, 2010

My undergraduate degree is in Early Childhood Education and Family Services, but I don't have a teaching certificate.

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

I suggest doing what will open the most doors for you in the future. I have an undergrad degree in elem. ed with a minor in early childhood. When I decided to get my Master's I decided to get a Masters of Arts in Education because I believe it may open more doors for me in future. I didn't get an early childhood masters because the majority of the classes go towards getting the EC endorsement which I already have. So, look at each program and decide which one will open more opportunities for you. My opinion would be the early childhood.

8. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

And then I'll be the opposing figure! Go with your heart. If your heart says art, than art it is (it's why I chose art education over generalized education)

The idea of a children's studio is fantastic, especially if there is a great art vibe around where you live. Even if there isn't, it would be a great chance to provide that for the community. Sadly, many elementary schools are ridding our children of a proper art education (I won't get on my art teacher soap box..hehe) but this would be a fantastic idea. So many kids are missing this in their lives and would be a great chance for them to explore media beyond just crayons/markers that they might have at home.

I vote art! :D

9. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Aug 24, 2010

Does it make sense/is it necessary to complete a 2-3 year (f/t) program when I don't necessarily NEED the certifications for my own business (though obviously it's always better to have more credentials).

I found some online classes on teaching art and special education online at universalclass.com. I've never heard of this site before, so I don't know how good it is and of course, it doesn't come with the status that a master's degree and teaching certificates would.

WDYT? Masters? Online training? Or something else?

10. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 25, 2010

Masters. hands down. I'm not a big fan of online courses to begin with or online university. I feel like I'm paying for a paper rather than learning what I need to learn. Although I'm slightly geeky and tend to be a perpetual student! lol