Advice on enrolling my 5 year old in Grandma's kindergarten class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jamophoto, Apr 13, 2017.

1. jamophoto

jamophoto Guest

Apr 13, 2017

My mother-in-law is a Kindergarten teacher at a local elementary school, and my wife likes the idea of having her enroll in her school for this first year of school. It is not the elementary school that is closest to us, but not far either, but it would only be for the one year of kindergarten.

My Daughter will be on the young side, the youngest in the class as her birthday falls on the cutoff date. By all accounts cognitively, she seems ready by assessments by her preschool teacher and director, and seems to thrive and interact well with all her other students/kids in her class.

My questions

-Is there a down side for having my Daughter in Grandma's class? I worry about behavior and social context, wether or not it would be better to have her in an environment without that close attachment. Is there a risk of over coddling her, will she be to attached to grandma, will she get the chance to be more independent in a setting where she has that direct connection.

-Is it better to start her in a school from Kindergarten that she will be continuing on for the rest of elementary school? I am concerned about the challenges of having to change schools after just one year, and if it would be more beneficial to her to make connections from the beginning, or am I over thinking this.

Thanks for any and all insight as teaching professionals.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2017

I agree that your concerns are valid.
    Personally, I would rather start my child in the school she would be continuing to go to after kindergarten. She will be able to establish long lasting relationships and it would provide her with continuity. It is already difficult enough for children to begin school and I think it would be concerning to the child to begin a school career in one school and have to switch the next year.

Think about the difficulty many children have in school when they have to switch schools because of family concerns. You have the choice to prevent that for your child.

4. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Apr 13, 2017

Putting your daughter in Grandmas K class and then pulling her to a totally different school for 1st grade is setting her up for a very difficult transition. K to 1st is a hard transition and adding a new school and it being her actual first time away from family at school is going to be tough. While I am sure putting her with Grandma is tempting she would be better off in the long run at her neighborhood school.

Linguist92021 and Caesar753 like this.
  5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 13, 2017

I went to a private kindergarten because my parents wanted me to have all day kindergarten. Then I went to a new school. I personally didn't have any issues, but I'm sure everyone is different. I was also very young; I wouldn't even make the cutoff anymore.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 13, 2017

Would the school even allow that? My district would not allow you to teach your own children or grandchildren.

czacza likes this.
  7. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Apr 13, 2017

Kindergarten teachers are amazing. Not only do they teach students with such a wide range of preparation, but they also teach us parents. They gently guide you through the whole process/parental role/lingo/expectations/limitations of having a child in school. Your ability to have a professional conversation with your child's kindergarten teacher is very important. Perhaps you feel this is possible with your MIL...perhaps not. But, please take your relationship with the teacher into consideration in addition to the child's relationship. Express these same concerns in a professional manner to her and see what happens. If you receive a respectful, professional response describing your options and potential effects, good. If all you are told is that it'll be fine and to not worry, then I recommend you recognize this as a red flag.

8. minnie

minnie Cohort

Apr 14, 2017

I have taught my own daughter in my kindergarten class. I know what you all are thinking: "why would you want that? How could the school be ok with that?" Well, I work in an extremely small one school district out in the middle of nowhere. I am the only kindergarten teacher at my school. So, my daughter had to have me. However, I can honestly say that I had a great experience having my daughter. I really gave me a first hand look at how she learns, behaves and interacts with other children. My daughter understood that at school, she is to act a certain way than at home (even though she is a good kid at home too). She knew that at school, I had to act differently than I do at home. I let her call me mom because I wouldn't expect her to call me "mrs. smith." The students at first said "that's your mom?" But that was it. The only con with having her in my class was that I was slightly harder on her than if she wasn't my daughter. But it wasn't to an extreme at all. My daughter had a great experience and so did I. Plus, I knew it was only for a year. After that, I could go back to just being mom.

The only thing I would be worried about with your daughter is her going to a different school after kindergarten. It was mentioned that going from kindergarten to first grade is a big transition. It most certainly is. It might be hard for your daughter to go through that transition PLUS being at a new school. However, kids are extremely resilient at that age and I'm sure she would bounce back and make new friends.

Backroads likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 14, 2017

If there were no other schools for her to go to and there was only ONE K teacher then it wouldn't be a huge problem. Going out of your way to PUT her into that class isn't really a great idea.

a2z likes this.
  10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2017

My mother was an elementary teacher. Decades later, I remain profoundly grateful that I was never placed in her classroom; I liked having some time out from under the parental gaze.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 17, 2017

I would absolutely not do this. Have her go where she's going to stay. Roots are everything, to me.

12. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Apr 18, 2017

My kids go to my school, but there is no way I would have taught them when they were in kinder. I think if she goes to Grandma's school it should be in another classroom. That way she can have someone looking out for her. And I also think that if she is going to move anyway, might as well start where sher will finish.

Linguist92021 likes this.