Advice on Core Knowledge

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by mrssmithinaz, Jul 23, 2009.

1. mrssmithinaz

mrssmithinaz Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

One of the opportunities I was given as a recalled teacher in my district (after being laid off) this year was to teach 5th grade. I have been teaching math in 7-8th grades for the past 7 years. I was excited, though, as I have always thought I would want to teach 5th grade. After meeting with the principal this morning, I came to find out that the school just the core knowledge curriculum, our only school in the district that uses this.

So, my question is, have any of you had experience with Core Knowledge? If yes, how hard would it be to teach as a first time 5th grade teacher?

(On a side note... I also would have around a dozen or so gifted/high learners in the class of 31. I'm not sure if this would make C.K. harder or easier to implement (my guess is easier, but just curious...))

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

I would definitely google Core Knowledge and fifth grade social studies. I know there are units on line that can give you a better idea of what it would be like. I don't think it would be any harder than teaching anything else new. I actually think it would be very fun!!! :)