ADVICE on becoming more marketable

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs.BellaVida, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Mrs.BellaVida

Mrs.BellaVida Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

Hello Everyone! I really need some advice. I graduated with a bachelor degree in 09 and went back to get my alternative teaching certification this year through a community college. However, everyone with alternative certification in Texas seems to be having a hard time finding a job. My goal is to become a kindergarten teacher. I have had interviews at day-cares as a preschool teacher/assistant teacher. Would that suffice as experience if I ever do get the opportunity to interview for a kindergarten teacher? My school does offer student teaching, however, I have a 9 month old and paying daycare and working for free would be difficult.
    Also, if I do get a job working as a preschool teacher/assistant teacher, I was debating either going back for a masters degree education OR going back for a Spanish degree, I'm native speaker but I need the formal education in order to teach bilingual. What do you think would make me more marketable, Preschool teaching vs. student teaching and spanish degree for bilingual certification vs. master degree in education? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

3. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

I wish I had advice for you, but I am in the same boat (except I graduated much earlier). I completely understand about not being able to student teach as our budget can not afford two days cares and no income. Many people have told me to try subbing. I am not sure if that will work for you, but you may want to look into it.

4. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Mrs.BellaVida I have the same question (on how to be more marketable). I graduated in December and haven’t been able to find a job either. I’m in the Houston area, where I’ve applied to at least 10 school districts and sent/dropped off my resume to lots of schools. I went to 4 job fairs and still nothing. I did, however, keep getting asked the same question over and over: ARE YOU BILINGUAL. I’m a native speaker ( Spanish is my first language) but I don’t have the endorsement. Most P’s, if not all, told me I should get it because having that would get me a job quick. I had to explain to them that I couldn’t take the Bilingual Supp because my school required that I do student teaching or 1 year internship as teacher of record first. I got to the point where I just didn’t think I’d get a job w/out that endorsement so I went ahead and signed up for Student Teaching this fall. I’m a single mom of two so it’s going to be really hard financially for the next 3 months. I’m relying on my student loans, grants, and my parents to get me by while I don’t have a job. Once I get my standard cert though I plan on taking the bilingual test right away. There are still so many openings for Bilingual teachers in a lot of school districts. I would also recommend substituting or even volunteering at the schools. I volunteered all of last year and I was able to meet a lot of people who have helped me.

5. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I was in a similar boat last year. I was enrolled in a masters that would let me do an ACP internship or student teaching. I obviously would have preferred the internship because I would be making money, but after applying to 26 districts last year I didn't get anything, so I did student teaching. At least for my certs (ec-8 generalist and 8-12 social studies), having a full certification has helped me get interviews, but I haven't been hired yet. Unfortunately, there are just too many people applying through ACPs and you get lost in the mix.

To the OP: You may be able to do a masters in bilingual that would then give you an initial certification. I got my masters in C&I and did student teaching to get certified. Good luck!!

6. Mrs.BellaVida

Mrs.BellaVida Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Thank you all for your advice!! I'm definitely going to look into my bilingual certification, I'm in Houston, as well, and the few job openings that are still out there seem to stress bilingual. I actually went in for an interview at a daycare yesterday where I had to interview in Spanish in addition to my regular interview. The pay increase for a bilingual teacher compared to that of a Master degree is a little more, so I think that would make it more worthwhile for myself.

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I would start with student teaching since you can use that as experience on your resume. I think getting certified in Spanish would be great, but I dont know if I would get a masters. I feel like you wont be marketable if you get a masters yet have no teaching experience. I know its hard for you with your kids and no income but maybe try to get student loans. I would also suggest subbing but that may be hard with child care too since it could be 5 days a week or just 1. Good luck!!!

8. Mrs.BellaVida

Mrs.BellaVida Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

I'm going to go with the pre-k assistant teacher job and I just enrolled in a Spanish course I need at UH (only 5 more classes to complete a second bachelors and hopefully pass my bilingual certification). I got the job offer I REALLY wanted a couple of hours ago at a Goddard school. The market is so competitive right now that I could end up subbing for years and its just not financially beneficial for my family and I. Not to mention I can bring my son with me in 3 months once he's 1, for a discounted rate. I'm happy to have found a job in this economy and I'm going to take it and do the best I can.

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Best of luck to you.