Advice- not sure what to do!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Jun 18, 2014.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 18, 2014

So I was hired for the summer as a counselor for a therapeutic camp for kids with autism, ADHD, Asperger's, etc. I was really excited about it when I got hired back in April. However, I've gone for training this week and I'm starting to have second thoughts. It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun but I just have this feeling in my gut that something isn't right.

Here's my dilemma. I am furiously job searching to hopefully get hired permanently in the fall. This summer job is M-F 8:30-3:30/4. She has been very clear that we are not allowed to take off work for any reason. No sick days, no personal days.

First issue with that: if I have a job interview, I'm taking off. They aren't going to be happy about that, and I don't know how best to deal with that. There's no way I can schedule interviews around work with those hours.

Second issue. We don't get a lunch break so there's no time during the day to call school districts, mail applications, anything like that. We also can't use our phones, same issue.

Money and opportunity aside, my gut feeling is telling me this job isn't going to work out with me also job-searching (which is number one priority) and I should just let them know now that I can't work there.

What do you guys think? :help:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2014

I would deal with this problem arises. It may not ever be an issue. If it is, try and get the interview scheduled for after school. If that is not possible, you go and speak with your supervisor.

These are not things you should be doing at work anyway :2cents: If you have to mail something, you prepare it in the evening and stop by the post office after work. Even in the smallest towns I've never seen a post office close before 4:30. Most close at 5:00 and some even at 7:00. Phone calls can happen immediately after/before work.

4. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 19, 2014

Hi! I think you should try to stick it out and like Giraffe said, deal with an interview situation when it arises. This job would be a wonderful asset on your resume and could get you interviews for a full time job. Also, I agree that you can make phone calls before and after work. While I was student teaching, we had no planning period and a 20 minute lunch. I run my own business and the only way I could make calls was before and after school.
    I hate to suggest this, but if it was a phone call you HAD to make, like to schedule an interview, could you go in the bathroom and call? Just a thought.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 19, 2014

I agree with both of the posts above. In the summer, schools aren't working around school day schedules so they should be more flexible about interview times. I'm sure that if called you could get something early in the morning or right after work. I worked while searching and did have scheduling issues come up, but I was always able to work them out. In fact, once I apologized for the interviewers having to work around my schedule and they literally told me that they were happy to do it and that it was nice to see someone out working instead of just sitting by the phone. This also sounds like something that will look really good on a resume. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity for something that is not even guaranteed to happen.

6. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 19, 2014

I would take the job for now. You could always use your phone while you take a bathroom break to check email and look for jobs. I'm not sure about you but most of my invitations to interview were through email. You can always call before or after school too. If by chance, you get an interview, you can let them know about your job and see if they can interview you before or after work. If not, then I would call off. I mean this is a summer job...I think it's odd that they told you can't even call off sick. I believe that is ILLEGAL. Good luck!

7. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jun 19, 2014

Some schools might be able to do interviews before or after your camp hours, in my area schools are open 7-5 M-Th and closed on Fridays for the summer.

8. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 19, 2014

most people hiring expect those applying to have other jobs and will work with you to meet your schedule. They will probably interview you after you get off at 3:30/4.

I would keep the job and maybe you misunderstood about the sick days. Most parents will NOT want you near their kids if you are sick. Therefore you boss should let you stay home if you are running a fever, etc.

Also most jobs would frown upon you using time they are paying you for to search for other jobs.

You can do jobs searches at 6 am and still have time to get ready for work.

9. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 19, 2014

I think it depends on where the OP is posting from, and how competitive the market is. Where I am from, the market is so competitive that they pretty much only interview during the work day and if you say no, there's hundreds of other potential candidates willing to take your place.

I had a school district call me for a first screening interview in person a few weeks ago. The school I am currently working at had off both Monday and Tuesday for Memorial Day weekend (Tuesday was a built in snow day that we didn't use), and I had a trip booked to Florida. This district called me for a screening interview and wanted me to come in on Tuesday. I explained that I wasn't returning home until the evening, but I would be more than willing to do a phone interview or a Skype interview from Florida, or to come in the very next day or any other day that week. Well, since I was unavailable, that was the end of that.

I am currently about to interview for a job (sitting waiting to kill some time). I received the call for an interview yesterday after work. Schools are not very flexible around here.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 19, 2014

I don't think you necessarily need to give up the job, but I would be clear with the supervisor that you are looking for a full time position. If that won't work for her, that would give her the opportunity to make other arrangements. I live in a somewhat rural area, and not being available to interview during the day would get a problem because an interview team is called in specifically for each position, and they don't want to stretch those days too long for the teachers involved. Oh, and our PO is only open from 9-4:30, so you'd need to be efficient about your nailing also:)

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 19, 2014

Honestly I understand your dilemma. I specifically was only applying to summer camp/school jobs that were half days so I could still interview. Luckily I was hired at a great paying one that only has me working M-Th until 12.

If you can get by without the money just quit it. You don't feel right about it and finding a career job is more important. Honestly I think it's illegal that you don't get a lunch break working that many hours.

12. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 19, 2014

This. In my area there are thousands of applications for one position. District hours are set 8-4. If you can't come in, they don't care, they'll just call the next person.

13. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 19, 2014

Thank you Bunnie. After everyone else saying I should keep the job your post made me feel better because I told them this morning I couldn't do it.

I need to find another job but I'm like you, I need something where I can still interview. Yeah the lunch break thing seemed kinda lame, we still get to eat but it had to be with the kids, which means no calling schools while I'm on break or anything like that.

14. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 19, 2014

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and opinions!

I ended up telling them this morning I couldn't do the job. There was no way I could schedule interviews around it and I got the feeling that I would've been "looked down on" by everyone if I was "that girl" that took off to go to interviews. I think 1 or 2 would've been fine, but not more than that (which I'm hopeful I will get more!).

I didn't necessarily mean that I could be on the phone all day, obviously not, but having a lunch break would mean I could go outside and make a few quick phone calls, and I didn't have that option.

I feel better about my decision and following my gut, I just hope I can find something else to make a little money this summer!

15. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 19, 2014

I wouldn't do it...you need to interview to get jobs, there's kind of no way around that. Like bunnie said if you can get by without the money....

Also no lunch break? What? So seasonal employees just...don't get hungry? Don't have basic human needs? Boy they'll have to teach me those superpowers. How do employers get away with that.

16. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 19, 2014

Honestly, I am also job searching and purposely am ruling out all summer school positions because I feel like if I sacrifice that to dedicate my time to finding a full time job it will be a bigger pay off in the end. And my priority is the full time job so I'm just going to focus on that.

I am working part time at a non education job right now and even told my manager I am searching for a teaching job (which I knew she would be understanding about.) I've had to leave early for interviews many times and having everything out in the open makes me less anxious on the interviews. But that is just me. If you can do it all, more power to you.