Advice needed

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Miss Bliss, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Nov 6, 2008

So I have this student who has been a complete mystery to me. He has add and is on terrible meds that make him "zombie like." Mom is aware of the issues with the meds and he seems to finally be getting used to them because the "zombie like" behavior is fading away. All the while, he has struggled with test taking skills where he rushes through things, and he also has problems with reading comprehension, sequencing events, and finding the main idea.

In addition, I tutor this child. It has just dawned on me that he may actually have a receptive language problem. I am not a certified special ed teacher, but I am realizing that he is showing some signs (not being able to express himself and not connecting with the text what so ever). I guess I am embarrassed that I am just realizing this in Nov. The add may have thrown me off. Any suggestions on how to relay to his mom that he should be tested for this? Any suggestions on how to work with him in reading?

3. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

If he is rushing through things. I would only let him see a little section at a time. (almost cut the test or the question us so that he only sees a little at a time). I would also give him a timer and tell him no matter how much he gets through you will work with him until the timer goes off. Set it for 10 minutes, then take a break. This wouldn't work if it was a student who wasn't getting enough down but it looks like he is rushing to be done so that he doesn't have to do any more. The first time he rushes give him another assignment (i.e. work time isn't over until the timer is up, so take your time to get it correct).

As for talking to mom. Let her know that you are noticing a disconnect from the comprehension. Reminder her you are not a certificated special education teacher but your suggestion would be for her to have the school special education team take a look at his learning strategies and skills.

4. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Nov 16, 2008

Is he in your gen ed class or do you only see him for tutoring? If he is on your teaching caseload, does he have an IEP for the ADD? Does he see a resource room teacher? If not, as his gen ed teacher you could refer him for speech/language evaluation or learning disabilities testing to see if he is eligible for special ed services.