Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DifferenceMaker, Jun 14, 2008.

1. DifferenceMaker

DifferenceMaker New Member

Jun 14, 2008

I am a 22 year old male student that is two semesters away from graduating with an elementary ed. degree. I have worked in school systems since I was 16, and I have loved every minute of it. As my degree is winding down and I am taking multiple field work assignments, I find myself wanting to give up. I have never felt that way before, about anything.

It's not the kids, I love the kids. My lesson planning is a little shaky, and I'm nervous about my first real teaching experience coming this week. I have to teach an incoming first grade class (just graduated Kindergarten) math..so I figured something along the lines of basic counting or number sense would be appropriate. While that is all well and good...I don't know the first thing about teaching it to the young ones! I have worked with 4th and 5th grade all of these years.

Now I am under the pressure cooker, because I have a lesson plan all of a sudden due tomorrow and while my ideas are there, I don't know how to teach that specific content (Number sense to fresh first graders). I am not asking for a lesson plan, but some advice on how to teach it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to sticking around here as there are a lot of helpful people. Thanks!

Jim

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 14, 2008

Use manipulatives!

And give them a few minutes to play with them first so they don't play through the entire lesson....

What is your specific objective that you will be teaching? To me, number sense covers a lot of ground.

4. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Jun 14, 2008

I once did a lesson on using the number line for adding. I drew a big number line and had a cut out of a frog that could jump across the numbers. I also set out carpet squares and label them as a number line and had the kids jump through them.

For adding...I used manipulatives and a spider diagram.
    Also counting in 1's, 2's, 5's, 10's etc to 10, 20, 50, 100

Good luck :)

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 14, 2008

Just keep things moving and make sure you make your expectations clear up front - if you are passing out materials then let them know exactly what to do with them - are they waiting until everyone has theirs, etc. I agree with using manipulatives but maybe start with a story that ties in or a short movement activity. Then they can use the manipulatives and do some sort of activity where they are making a product to show what they've learned.

Don't be nervous - one of the benefits to teaching young children is they are very eager to learn and if you act like you know what you are doing, then they don't question it. Like bees and dogs, they can smell fear; just be confident and you'll do fine.

6. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jun 14, 2008

Difference...... we could give more help if you were more specific with your objectives. Do you have manipulatives? etc.

7. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 14, 2008

Math

Since they are just coming in from kinder, I recommend: Read a story to them- Chicka Chicka 1-2-3 is a good one to read for counting. Make sure you don't get Chicka Chica Boom Boom.
    They learn best with manipulatives (little teddy bears are usually used for counting), if you don't have those, go and buy a box/bag of fruit loops. Let them eat 3, and then have fun counting. Put some small numbers on cards 1-20, have students come and pull numbers out of the bag and have them show you that number with the cereal. Good pre assessment to see what they know.

First graders also love songs and music, anything to get them up and moving. I recommend Jack Hartmann's Movin' 2 Math CD. It is upbeat and fun and gets the kids excited!

Here's the link:
    http://www.jackhartmann.com/cdproducts/movin2math.php

You can listen to 2 songs- Let's Get Fit (counting to 100 song)~ we listened to the everyday for a month! We listened to these songs all year, it was well worth the investment :)

Something I learned after moving from a higher grade...what takes the older kids one day to learn, you will spend about a week on it. I over planned so much last year....baby steps is all you need :) There are many wonderful ppl on this board, with so many great ideas, so if you need it they will come! :)

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 15, 2008

This isn't specific to your lesson, but more to the younger age group. As a male who teaches 2nd grade, let me give you a secret many of our female counterparts either a) don't know or b) don't want to admit... most of these kids have never had a male teacher, and they'll be enamored. Each year, at my school, we have a step up day where I meet my new class. The kids are just enthralled and intrigued to have a man up in front leading them. I use this enthusiasm (and sometimes they are a little scare, I use that too!) to my advantage. :D

9. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

I admit it freely. :lol: Even though he's not a teacher, my kids LOVE it when my husband comes to school. He goes with us on field trips to help with the ice chests and supervising the boys bathroom. The Monday after we went on our last field trip, I had my kids write in their journals about their favorite part of the trip and I'd say 3/4 of them wrote about something he did. It was cute.

Back to the original post. My best advice has already be given but I'll say it again: make sure you tell the kids every single step and exactly what you want them to do. When I started teaching I took for granted that kids knew what I wanted them to do--I was wrong. And more than likely you'll have to repeat yourself several times. Be very firm with your instructions.