Advice needed

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by coussen2, Mar 18, 2008.

1. coussen2

coussen2 New Member

Mar 18, 2008

I was told today by my principal that I have been absent too many days this year (6). I have asthma, and there is mold in my classroom. I get sick quite often, but only stay home when it turns into walking pneumonia, I have even had pneumonia that put me in the hospital. All of my absences are documented, and I have bneen told by my doc that the only thing that will help is time, so that I get used to the germs. How can I respond to this, he is a principal who rules by intimidation. HELP!:eek:

3. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Mar 18, 2008

4. MJD

MJD Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

Don't you have a specific number of days you can be absent? Don't you accumulate sick/vacation time? I know I have sick time and as long as I don't use it all, I'm ok.

Like the person mentioned above check with your union!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2008

If you don't have a union or an allotment of sick days, this position might not be the right one for you.

Furthermore, if your administration or district can't ensure that you're working in a healthy environment free from biological hazards, you probably shouldn't work there.

You might even think about calling OSHA or something if you really think there's mold in the classroom. That's bad for the kiddos, too.

6. coussen2

coussen2 New Member

Mar 19, 2008

I do have 16 sick days a year, of which I have only used 6.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 19, 2008

If you have 16 sick days, and you have only missed 6, then I don't see the problem. Why would he say you have missed too many days? Were any of them consecutive days? Does the school know about the mold? I would keep pushing that. It's bad for you and the kids.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 19, 2008

That stinks that your principal is like that. Mine this year is wonderful. If we come to school with a bad cold, she sends us home.

9. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Mar 19, 2008

Is it possible your principal thinks you've been away more than you have, especially if you are often ill? (Long example - my principal recently queried the attendance of one of my students who had been away for four days this year. Three of them, when I was at a conference, we asked her to stay home for - long story but we couldn't leave her with a sub at that stage - and the other was a known paediatrician appointment. Once I reminded the boss, he was fine about it, just absent minded).

If you've only used 6 days of 16 available, I wouldn't worry unless he gets really narky with you. Is it possible you're worrying about something he's already forgotten, or taken out of context? Just hoping.

I'd be more worried about being asthmatic in an unhealthy environment - that needs looking into.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 19, 2008

I taught in a classroom from mold, and got very sick as well.

I had a parent with a child with asthma call and complain, and take it all the way to the school board. The result...they moved me to a better room the next year.

The problem...my friend got moved into the "mold-room" and she started getting sick all the time. She called OSHA and they had people out with all kinds of "air quality measuring devices" and finally the school installed a dehumidifer and an air purifier, and began changing the filters once a month (instead of once every 6 months, or once a year, or once whenever they got around to it.)

If you don't want to be the one who makes a "stink" see if you can find a parent and speak with them discretely. Many parents are more than willing to help, especially if it is affecting their child's education.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.