Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ATwainedTeacher, Sep 6, 2013.

1. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

Sep 6, 2013

It is my first year at a new high school, and I'm not exactly sure what to do about a situation.

I have been chosen to help with the SCA (with another teacher who has done it for a few years), and the SCA program at my new school is quite involved. We plan character assemblies for students, all of homecoming and its massive town block party, and regular charity and fundraising events. I'm also on the prom committee, which is also a rather large affair at this particular high school.

My VP approached me yesterday about also helping with the SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving) Club here at school. I was unaware that the SCA met during club hours (at my old school, they didn't), and because I was led to think it wouldn't be much extra work, I said that I would help as long as there was another teacher involved. Then, I found out that the big pushes for the SADD club are during both homecoming and prom. Well, okay, if I have help on that front, that will be fine. Now, however, my coworker that I am doing SCA with sent me an email last night saying that she had heard through the grapevine that I was going to be asked to help with SADD. She advised me against it because all of the work involved in SCA. She also made sure to mention that she is so happy to have my help with the SCA, which I have a feeling may suggest that she is worried I won't be able to devote enough time to the SCA.

Now I'm feeling like I may have gotten in over my head, but I'm not sure how to address it. I feel that I should stick with it this year, as I have already said that I would, but what am I supposed to do during club meetings? Should I approach my VP with my coworkers concerns? The VP is also new, so I'm not sure if she knew when she asked that I would need to be in two places at once. I want to be as helpful as I can, because I was very lucky to land this job (I was part-time last year), but I don't want to do a disservice to myself and both organizations by being over-extended.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

Hi and welcome!

All of those activities are big, high profile activities. Doing a poor job on any of them will make the whole school look bad.

Let the VP know, as quickly as you can, that you're in over your head and that you don't think you can do justice to so many very important activities.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2013

You have in fact been asked to do and agreed to too much...which is easy to do when you want to help your students and school and make administration happy. Let them know immediately that you were not fully aware of the committment of each and that you'll need to back out a bit.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 6, 2013

I agree. Let the principal know that you feel that you'll only be able to commit to o e and do a good job