Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Guest, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 4, 2002

Hi! I have a question...It's the end of summer, and I haven't heard from any school districts regarding jobs, or even interviews for that matter. I'm getting worried, but I know that if anything I will sub until I do find my own classroom. I heard about an opportunity to teach overseas, for American students whose parents are stationed in the military. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this, because I thought it sounded like an incredible opportunity. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it, maybe participated in it, or knew someone who did? I'm trying to explore all my possibilities here, and any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, those of you who did not find a job right away out of college, what were your experiences, and thoughts at that time. I know I'm not alone right now in not finding a job, but it's hard to be positive when everyone else you know has a job right away out of college. I think I just really need to hear some good news about job searching. :) Thanks!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 4, 2002

Working for the DOD overseas teaching is a great experience but very demanding on you. If you love to be around your family this is not for you. Do not get down about not finding a job. I took my first teaching job 2 weeks after school started. They do this sometimes because numbers are higher than expected and they can add teachers. Hang in there. You will find something. Also sign up for a sub. job. That is a great way to get your foot in a door. Good luck.

4. mandy1221

mandy1221 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002

I took a year off after I graduated from college. I felt that this was probably the last time that I could really just hang out and have fun...and I don't regret it at all! But by January I was getting bored...so I started to substitute. It was a wonderful experience. I sent out 27 applications and only got one interview. Thankfully I got that position!! So I know how frustrating it can be. Just hang in there...something will come up. If you do not get a full time position I would difinately start to sub. There are many opportunities for long term sub positions also. Good luck.
    Mandy:D

5. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Aug 4, 2002

Hi, I wish you luck in finding a teaching job. When I graduated, I was also working full-time as a department head in a store, so I subbed almost every day, then went to work afterwards, so I wasn't too worried. I made sure to get my name on every sub list in every district that I could drive to. By doing this, I was able to sub almost every day, and that gave me valuable experience. I then worked for a year as a one on one T.A. and that was great, but I wanted my own classroom. I didn't get an elementary job even though I interviewed for a few, there are so many applicants for each job!!! I ended up deciding to try teaching PreK, and found a job right away. Well, that was 7 years ago, and I just love working in this age group! I've worked at 2 different schools in the school year, and I also teach at another one in the summer. My recommendation would be for you to sub as much as you can and get experience and familiarity in all age groups. Again, good luck!

6. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 7, 2002

If there is a large city nearby, apply there. They will generally continue hiring throughout the year because the positions are more demanding and staff retention rates are therefore lower. Also try private school because some of them pay less and have a harder time attracting certified teachers. The benefits of private schools are numerous, though, like small class sizes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2002
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 9, 2002

Hello! there is no need to go overseas unless it is a desire of yours. If you are willing to relocate, Folrida, Texas, and Illinois are teacher shortage states. Each of these states start every school year off with at least a 1,000 bodies short. You will be hired immediately and given two years to get that states certification. 773-553-1000 or use www.reap.net Diane

8. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 9, 2002

Many counties in Georgia also have teacher shortages every year. The counties around Atlanta hire several hundreds of teachers each year.

Nick