Advice needed..Thanks!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Aug 8, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

Hi There,

I have an inclusion class this year with an aid for only one hour a day and I was looking for some guidance.. My class consists of two students with high functioning autism, three students with ADD, and one student with a learning disability in math and reading. I have all of their IEP's. I'm supposed to give lessons in chunks and give frequent breaks for all of my students on IEP's.

I'm curious to know how you would go about teaching a math lesson..For example, I taught line plots, mode, median and range this week. How much of these topics would you teach in an hour lesson? I don't want to over load my kids, but I don't want to go so slow that I'm not able to teach all the concets. I have to consider my regular ed students as well. I would love to teach guided math, but I don't think It's something I can do this year..

Also, my one student with Autism is only at a 2nd grade math level..He is not getting services for math. When I'm teaching fourth grade concepts he is going to be completely lost and not focus on what's going on. Do I give him something to work on independently while I teach the other students??

This is only my second year teaching and I volunteered for inclusion because none of my teammates were willing to volunteer.. My Principal gave the OK for me to do it, so I'm guessing she thinks I'm capable. I'm just scared I bit of more than I can chew. I have good classroom management and I'm more of a nuturing teacher, so I believe that my sped students will have a positive experience in my class. I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can for them and my regular ed students.

I've been doing research online and will be picking up The Incredible 5-point scale today and read it. I did do some research and reading on inclusion this summer, which has helped a little, but there is soooo much to learn. I received no formal training from my school, which is not good.

Any ideas or book recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 8, 2009

Why is the student with HFA not given an aide?

You will have to teach the student with autism separately, try to boost their math facts and get them close to grade level

4. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Aug 8, 2009

I used to teach inclusion as well with the same types of disabilities. What worked great for my kids when teaching math was a ton of hands on stuff, aka- manipulatives.

If you have a student on a much lower level, you don't want to isolate him/her from the rest of class. Include him in the teaching of your subject (hence the term inclusion) but modify the material so that he/she is able to complete the work. It's challenging but rewarding.

I would also suggest having stations that the students can work on together. Group them in 3's and have them rotate to how many stations you feel is appropriate. Then set up your own station and meet with all students individually. That would be a great opportunity to work on the skills that your one student is lacking in order to help get him/her closer to grade level.

If you want more specifics, just let me know and I'll be glad to help.