Advice needed regarding short lesson (30 minutes)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linguist92021, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 22, 2017

I'm looking for advice on what to do for 30-35 minutes this Friday.

- it can be about anything, really, English related.
    - the students have been learning about civil rights activists for 4-5 weeks and just finished a compare/contrast essay about 2 of them (their choice). Turning the final draft in Thursday. So if it has something to do with it, it would be great, but I don't want to repeat anything. Something related would be nice. I don't think a writing related exercise would be good, they've been writing for 4 days.
    - I'm looking for something they can do on their own. I'm sick, lost my voice yesterday halfway through the day (currently at work, but I can only whisper. So I'm managing everyone today without speaking lol). I'm taking off Thursday, because straining my throat when I do need to talk is making it worse. Friday, I might still be the same, but I'm coming back to work.
    - another reason for independent work is that we only have 15 minutes a day prep time. How am I supposed to grade 90 essays?? So I will try to get some of them done Friday during the school day, and the rest on Monday, hopefully (they will watch the news that day). I have to do it this way, otherwise I'll be working for many hours on my own.

Technically it can be something as simple as a few grammar worksheets, or watch a great, meaningful video and take notes (I can create questions), and I can come up with these, but I was wondering if anyone has anything better.

3. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Feb 22, 2017

You mentioned civil rights and our English teacher is covering the same issue. As part of illustrating the need for the civil rights movement, she had them take the literacy test in the link below. They took it in the time limit, discussed their answers, the fact that none of them (with a 10th grade education!) got them all right was pretty illuminating. I don't know if this would be right for your situation or not, but just an idea:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vaul...t_the_impossible_literacy_test_louisiana.html

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2017

I really love the NYTimes What's Going on in This Picture? for discussion and critical thinking. There are several pictures there that may match well with what you have been doing.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 22, 2017

I don't really want to do a discussion though. There is a strong chance that I still won't have my voice, and I will need to rest it either way. And it'd be nice if the kids could work on their own so I can get a start on grading their essays. I don't want to spend my weekend working, like I did years ago.

6. DobbyChatt

DobbyChatt Rookie

Feb 22, 2017

Do you have access to technology? ...What about a webquest? I usually let mine use headphones while working on the web...

7. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Feb 22, 2017

Have them color code their essay according to the rubric. Yellow for rubric category 1, etc.

Have them come up with hashtags their person would use.

Have them write a twitter conversation between their two people. They could work in groups with others with the same people.

8. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Feb 22, 2017

If you have access to technology and each kid can be on a computer try these websites:

www.readtheory.org Free reading comprehension passages and quizzes set for each kids lexile level. Best part is the website does literally everything for you. They give kids a practice test to assess their levels and begin assigning passages for them to read that match the reading level for each individual kid. The hardest part for you will be putting them on the website and creating a class.

www.noredink.com
    This is very similar to the address mentioned above. However, this is a grammar and English Mechanics site. All the quizzes and questions are about likes and interests that the students indicated. They grade everything for you as well. This website allows students to login with google. You will need to create a class and assign a computer generated assessment,

9. creativemonster

creativemonster Cohort

Feb 22, 2017

or maybe they create civil rights song, poem, or art piece somehow tying philosophy of leader they studied to topic of today? Sorry - haven't thought it all out, just riffing off top of head. They could work with partner and then share as gallery walk.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for suggestions everyone. It turns out I didn't need this lesson afterall, because today, Friday, I'm staying home as well. I still have no voice, there's no reason to strain it even more, this way I'll have a silent long weekend and should be back to normal Monday. In the beginning of the year we turned in 3 days worth of emergency lesson plans, so I just emailed the secretary to give one day to the sub.