Advice needed on BEST way to become certified

Discussion in 'General Education' started by stepay, Jul 26, 2013.

1. stepay

stepay New Member

Jul 26, 2013

Hello all. I'm a former certified English teacher who has been out of the teaching game for 20 years now. I went the route of getting a 4-year degree in English and journalism and then going back to school later to take the classes necessary to become certified. I decided to do this AFTER graduating, so this was not the plan.

Now, I have a HS daughter who wants to be an English teacher. Some colleges still offer licensure programs in 4 years...some add an extra semester after graduating, and then some are going to a 5-year program that includes a Masters Degree.

Assuming that most teachers would go after a Masters Degree upon being hired, is it best to just do a 5-year program and get it done right away? Does this keep districts from hiring you because you cost more initially?

Please advise.

Thanks!

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 26, 2013

I think it depends on the state in which your daughter is planning on teaching. Some states require a masters degree for high school, which is where a 5-year program would be best (IMO). Other members on these boards have discussed the benefits and difficulties of going the alternate route, and again I think it really depends on your region. Personally, I got a 4-year education degree, and I hope others will weigh in with their experiences and advice.

4. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 26, 2013

I say go for the Masters degree since it will probably be cheaper in the long run. I don't think districts look at someone as being more expensive as a negative. If that's true, they'd always be hiring new teachers. They want the best, most qualified person.