Advice needed, Just hired for 8:1:2 First grade

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by jclaxton78, Sep 9, 2012.

1. jclaxton78

jclaxton78 Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

Ok,

I was told I'd have a job over this weekend and I start tomorrow full-time as the special ed. teacher in an 8:1:2 classroom of 1st graders.

I need some general time-tested advice for behavior management & what to do the first day and week of school. I have Wong's book, but not enough time to read it all right now.

Of course I'll go over class rules & routines with students. (Anyone have a good basic 3-rule list?) Be Kind, Be Respectful, ____

I've seen the red/yellow/green card system, but doubt it will be a good match for these students. Besides, it displays publicly who everyone's behavior status, plus you may run out of cards too early, :eek: Not sure I really want a system for rewarding students with stickers etc for good behavior.

I know sincere praise works and I'm comfortable with that, it is intangible. For positive "rewards", I prefer intangibles like giving free time, computer time, a good note home etc.

For negative behaviors, I like to point out to the student individually what he/she did and tell (or ask them) what they can do next time to make a better choice.

I also will explain what consequences can be if a student keeps breaking one of the class rules (talk to him in private, time-out area,

I guess my head is spinning and just trying to calm down and figure out how to get through the first day.

*The more responses the better, thanks.

3. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Sep 9, 2012

Since you are in a SPED classroom, you may need to give it a short time to see what type of kids you have. You may need to have a general behavior expectation but then have to apply it differently to each student.

Once I had a special ed student who just could not stay in his seat and shouted out etc...so..I had an index card on his desk and if he focused for like 3 minutes he got a check mark..when he got a certain number of checks, he got to have a 'time out' from the class to regroup. If he got off task I would just say..try to focus or you will not get a check mark...It worked well for him.

One of my students we had to make a small 'book of expectations' that he carried with him..it had step by step what he should do when coming into class..If he got off task, I could turn to the appropriate page and say what should you be doing right now? and he could see it in words and a picture.

This all depends on your students levels and capabilities of course. Good luck!

4. jclaxton78

jclaxton78 Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

Thank you!

Good advice.

But I'll still lay general classroom rules out, just tailor consequences/reinforcements/praise/rewards per student and on a case by case basis. Sound good?

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 9, 2012

6. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Sep 9, 2012

Yes, include the simple basic rules..be nice, listen, etc.. Maybe in a short power point that has some get to know you...so maybe have a slide with pic of your pets..then they can tell about their pets..tell about your children, if any, then they can share about their siblings...tell about your favorite thing about school and they tell theirs... Etc.that might be a good way to get to know them a little and for them to get to know each other.