Advice Needed Here. Take the job where I MIGHT one day become a teacher or a director

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peachyness, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2012

I had my second interview just now for an afterschool program. Right now, I work for an afterschool program in a town 45 minutes away (90 minute daily commute, part of the drive involves this steep grade that isn't fun to drive on at all). I spend over $300 on gas a month. My take home after gas isn't very much.

This job is also at an afterschool program at a school 15 minutes away. The drive is easy and gorgeous and the school is on a hill overlooking the ocean. :D This job will pay less, but I won't be spending so much on gas. It basically comes out to the same if I take into consideration the gas.

The principal at the school I work at now likes me a lot. She wants me to attend a three day workshop (for free, she can't pay me) in case I one day get hired as a resource teacher (for language arts). It's part time. There is a teacher who's done this for years and years and still can't land a full time teaching job.

So, my dilemma is, do I stick with my job I have now with the hope of one day, years from now, of getting a full time teaching job where the commute is 90 minutes daily (and remember, I'm not getting paid much). OR, take this new job where I have a chance of becoming director of the program (I also get free gym membership since it's through the YMCA)? I would also have the chance of getting my name out and getting some part time jobs as a fitness instructor at the Y (which is what I'm studying to do right now).

You guys will ask me, what do I want. To be a teacher? Or just a director? Am I willing to wait it out and deal with the commute to get what I would like to have, which is a full time teaching job? The other worry is getting pink slipped (again and again). Class size just increased for this district from 20 to 30. Who knows when they will be hiring again....

They want me to start ASAP and I'm just feeling a bit loss. I kind of want to talk to my principal and say, "look, what is the chance of me getting a teaching job in this district? I don't have 5, 10 years to wait. I can't afford to keep this up...." sigh... I guess I just feel a bit loss here.

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

It sounds like in your heart, you know exactly what you should be doing.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2012

My husband says that taking the YMCA afterschool job will just be a deadend. No where else to go. Except as a director (but that jobs also doesn't pay that well....). Again, he's only thinking of the money and where it'll lead to. And I tend to think of what will make me happy and comfortable. But, he tends to be right most of the time....

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 27, 2012

Why does it have to be a dead end? Not everyone gets a job by working up a ladder. Keep applying to other schools while you work at the job closer to home (it sounds like that's what you want to do).

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2012

I don't think he's right this time. Go with your heart.

7. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

I'm not sure what you should decide but I worked for the YMCA in an after school program before I got my teaching job. My program sounds different from yours though because it was completely separate from the school district. It was an ok job.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2012

You really have got to choose the one that you feel will lead you closer to where you want to be.

Are you no longer homeschooling?

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2012

You mentioned you do not want to be pink slipped anymore,
    SO take the one that's closer and you have done the math about the gas, and it evens out. The current principal likes you because you will attend a workshop FREE, and she does not have to pay you,:( and there is a teacher there who's done this over and over, and still does not have a full time teaching job.
    You pretty much have the answer, so GET OUT, spread your wings, fly, and say, "Bye, bye!":D
    Prayers coming your way,
    Rebel1