Advice needed for job search

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi-R-Squared, May 24, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 24, 2017

Since I'll be looking for a new job, I need advice on how to handle the "not returning to the same school" question.

If they ask if I'm not returning to the school, do I offer up "non-renewal" or just "No, I'm not returning to the school" and offer up why if they ask why?

Also, on a previous interview this year, I was asked why I was non-renewed from my previous job and I said something that alluded to new administration wanting to hire their own personnel. Was that an acceptable answer or should I have just said I did not know why...

If any future interviewers ask why I was non-renewed, would it be safe to say that the P wanted to hire someone closer to the school? Should I say, "Not a good fit." And how can I explain not a good fit? I think I wasn't a good fit for the school. The school leans heavily into athletics and coaching. Although I love lots of sports, the driving distance would have kept me from being involved in any kind of coaching. Also, academics isn't really stressed here. The care falls tremendously on sports and the school likes transfers-in who can play sports well.

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

May 24, 2017

Perhaps you could explain that you let the P know you were hoping to get a job closer to home and when he realized he had a math candidate available, he proactively terminated you in anticipation of you resigning after you found a different job.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 24, 2017

I think the first thing we need to establish is: were you pink slipped or non-renewed? In your previous posts you kept referring to both, but there's a huge difference. Pink slip is being laid off, due to budget problems. You could be teacher of the year and still laid off because it's based on seniority.
    Non-renewal is the problem.

anon55 likes this.
  5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

May 24, 2017

How do they know that you are non renewal? Is it on your resume? If so, take it off. Typically schools ask "Why do you want to work here and/or Why you do you want to leave your current job?" You can bend the truth a little bit more with these questions.

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 24, 2017

My official letter says my contract was non-renewed.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2017

That simplifies things, doesn't it? What you can do with that information can have some spin on it. After all, if everything was black and white, we wouldn't know just how good some lawyers and spokespeople really are, would we?

I am going suggest once again that you spend some money on a really good resume. The right writer can help you find the golden nuggets that you can proudly display. It always helps to hear someone say the same thing in a much more sophisticated way. Now might be a great time to take a chance on some change. Also, you might look for some free or low cost PD that would make your science certs worth having. If you are not a member of NSTA, I highly recommend it. Lots of free webinars that could really help you learn how to teach science. Not to be pushy, but I would recommend going to my Free Resources thread and puttering around in there. Although many subjects are found there, I am a science person through and through, so expect a ton of science resources to explore.

anon55 likes this.
  8. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 24, 2017

I wanted to pursue a new opportunity at a smaller/larger/whatever school.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 24, 2017

Apparently, where I work, when you say RIF, that means your job was cut, funding was lost, so you got laid off.... If you're pink-slipped, that means your contract was non-renewed and you're fired. What made it a little confusing was that my P said, "I really don't like to issue pink-slips when it's not due to performance." Either way, I was fired. ;)

10. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 24, 2017

I have not been asked at all why I am leaving my current school. Like a previous post said, usually they ask why you want to work there or to tell about yourself

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 25, 2017

I just enrolled in some summer PDs that deal with the new science course of study. Also how to use the 5E+IA model to develop lessons, and resources to help with the new COS. Hopefully, that's the start of something good!

BTW, I'm also taking courses on classroom mgmt and bullying.

12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 25, 2017

I have 3 letters of recommendation. One from the P, the other math teacher, and the science teacher.

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 26, 2017

Can you provide a link to your resources? Thanks!!

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2017

Now that I know for sure that my former P successfully replaced me with someone who has tenure, can I use that as a reason for leaving the school? Or does that sound stupid and should I just go with the "not a good fit" and no further explanation?

16. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 2, 2017

It's not as if you were pink-slipped then bumped by someone with seniority though. As long as the school you are interviewing at is closer to where you live, I recommend using the long commute as your explanation.

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 7, 2017

In NJ, RIF's are called non renewal due to budget and efficiency when you are non tenured.

RIF's and non renewals are both common in NJ and won't exclude you from positions if you interview and demo well. Principals like when people have experience. I was non renewed due to budget and efficiency and got a better job.